A forum section for programming/design

Communism

• Advanced Members

Hi folks,

Some of you who have been around for a while might remember the programming section ("Foo Bar") we used to have here. While it was purged for its inactivity during one of the forum cleanups, I feel that it's time for a revival. Just a few thoughts on why it might be useful:

- It could be a resource for aspiring bot developers. The old "Foo Bar" section predated the BOT power, but I think a programming section would be much more relevant now with bots being so popular. On the old forum, prominent bot owners would sometimes give great advice about how to properly configure bots or fix an error, but this was often done in the General Support section on some obscure thread which would be wiped off the front page of the section in a day or two anyway. If nothing else, a new section could consolidate that sort of advice and make it visible.

- Another related point here is that when you do a google search about xat bot creation, you often end up at sites that promote other "subversive" things that xat wouldn't approve of. Steering traffic away from those places would, I imagine, be in xat's best interest.

- This section could also provide help with styling xatspaces now that they've gotten swankier. While there's probably some overlap here with what's done in the Graphics section, the skills needed to whip up a good signature and the skills needed to design a glossy CSS xatspace are very different. I think it makes sense to provide separate resources for these two activities.

Please share your thoughts.

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, 6 said:

Providing xatspace CSS/chat CSS to users (even just simple/basic) would be great idea to help users. 

@Stah

Daily and fresh updates would be needed i guess.

Wouldn't that be in the Graphics section? CSS is mainly thought of as graphics on xat.

• Advanced Members
14 minutes ago, Mr.Guppy said:

Wouldn't that be in the Graphics section? CSS is mainly thought of as graphics on xat.

Well yes it should be in Graphics section.

Since there is no really official for this thread i think this thread should have been posted at the Graphics section.

• Advanced Members

Would a more general 'technology' section be better? Or 'gaming'? Or whatever -- really what I'm thinking about is something a little more specialized that would encourage long-term activity. Right now the forum is experiencing a bit of a bubble, but once the dust settled and people have run out of "What is your ... " topics, I'm guessing we're going to see a decline in activity.

• Wiki Editors

To be honest, there is currently no demand of threads related to technology, gaming and programming at all. You can already discuss anything (except political / religious debates) on the General Discussion section. What makes you thing that having a dedicated section for such topics would make it active?

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Arthur said:

To be honest, there is currently no demand of threads related to technology, gaming and programming at all. You can already discuss anything (except political / religious debates) on the General Discussion section. What makes you thing that having a dedicated section for such topics would make it active?

I figure that a dedicated section for these things could encourage people who aren't already active to start participating. But it's fine, if nobody here is interested and the forum is still active, there's no sense in forcing anything.