More Vols needed

El1z

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, Mom said:

It's ridiculous the amount of "oh you think it's that easy? lolz" from the volunteers in a mocking kind-of way. It's to be expected when the fact is, tickets are being delayed and users are complaining yet they don't take the time to properly write something more fitting, especially for an important issue like this, makes me question the maturity.

It's not ridiculous at all. We're not mocking users either. What we're trying to do is show that a lot of people here have no idea what they're requesting or saying. Even Christina, a former volunteer, has said some things I would never expect a former volunteer to say, such as certain tickets being as easy as a "push of a button." That's not how it works.

8 hours ago, Mom said:

Which brings me onto the ticket function itself, the fact is like Christina said, users are getting tired of constantly nagging the volunteers to the point where it's off-putting, but is that the users fault? No.

While we attempt to take on the responsibility of ensuring that we're caught up, it's ultimately not our responsibility to ensure that we have enough volunteers or that the support system is operating normally. This is the result of a volunteer-only support system. Such tasks are ultimately administrative in nature.

8 hours ago, Mom said:

You're implying younger users have lower expectations which isn't fair, especially with what I said above about the current volunteers and their maturity. I agree largely with what Christina said in regards to volunteers chosen based on who you know and users impressions instead of what they should be.

If the solution isn't get more volunteers, then you need to provide us with an alternative because the current system is causing users stress, pain and agony. Not just "be patient, volunteers are working hard" because that isn't enough anymore, it's obvious that the ticket system has flaws and reoccurring problems.

You are the volunteers of xat, you essentially run the place -- make things happen instead of siting idly by waiting for someone else to.

No, I was saying that the volunteers from years ago were much younger and had more time. That is why tickets were rarely delayed. The comparison Christina made is unfair since the average age of the volunteers is different (higher). No individual volunteer can control this, so it's not our fault.

Volunteer selections are definitely not based solely on who we know. First of all, we're not going to recommend some random Joe who we don't know. We need to trust that they will handle user information properly, so it obviously and naturally follows that we have to at least know of the person we're suggesting, if we suggest someone. Secondly, if we're going to recommend someone, we need to believe they'll do a good job as a volunteer. For example, a lot of volunteers had interacted with Steven in the past, and many of us trusted him. But were many of us necessarily friends with him? No. I'm not fond of the years-old myth that volunteers only recommend their friends. It's not as buddy-buddy as people want it to be.

8 hours ago, Mom said:

If the solution isn't get more volunteers, then you need to provide us with an alternative because the current system is causing users stress, pain and agony. Not just "be patient, volunteers are working hard" because that isn't enough anymore, it's obvious that the ticket system has flaws and reoccurring problems.

You are the volunteers of xat, you essentially run the place -- make things happen instead of siting idly by waiting for someone else to.

Although it may seem like we don't care, we actually do. Some of us actually feel really disgusted about extended delays. Just make sure to remember that there's not much we can do other than attempt to calm users and answer tickets when we can. We're not administrators. It's not our job to provide you with an alternative.

We try our best to motivate each other and implement plans to eliminate delays. We actively attempt to manage the situation.

• Award 5

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

It's not ridiculous at all. We're not mocking users either. What we're trying to do is show that a lot of people here have no idea what they're requesting or saying. Even Christina, a former volunteer, has said some things I would never expect a former volunteer to say, such as certain tickets being as easy as a "push of a button." That's not how it works.

No, I was saying that the volunteers from years ago were much younger and had more time. That is why tickets were rarely delayed. The comparison Christina made is unfair since the average age of the volunteers is different (higher). No individual volunteer can control this, so it's not our fault.

Although it may seem like we don't care, we actually do. Some of us actually feel really disgusted about extended delays. Just make sure to remember that there's not much we can do other than attempt to calm users and answer tickets when we can. We're not administrators. It's not our job to provide you with an alternative.

We try our best to motivate each other and implement plans to eliminate delays. We actively attempt to manage the situation.

Actually it is that simple in most circumstances. There are some exceptions but what is it 1 out of 10 tickets perhaps? And that is in that particular department.  We all know some are quite harder departments then others.

However...it tends to be the easier ones behind. You never would hear me complain about the harder departments  mentioned in wait time.  He also acts like all volunteers have to deal with his scenario.  

I didn't compare age.  You guys did. What I did compare was ratio of volunteers and number of users and tickets...which to me was a very fair scenario.

I never said you guys did not care.  In fact I said I felt most of you deserved.  Different era of volunteers then if in fact volunteers do not try to take it upon themselves to fix the issues between the users and xat.  Or do not look for solutions to user complaints.  I will even go as far to say that 20% of users who complain of wait time either have not checked ticket reply, have given wrong info, or have an issue they do not understand.  But there are STILL delays that are a bit ridiculous in wait time.

Allowing volunteers access to most departments would then help to eliminate a department having wait time due to other obligations or a particular volunteer being busy..  There is always a solution to further eliminate wait time if you just look for it.  This has been a year long problem.  Not recent.  I merely suggested 1.  I am not saying the answer has to be that 1.  

I will not even go into the debate of based on who you know....it would be an unfair 1, if I were to be completely open and honest.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

Maybe a little off topic, but I think it's somewhat under-appreciated that the volunteers actually do anything at all. They might be compensated some, but I'm pretty sure most part-time jobs would have a better ROI for their time. I think it's safe to say that the the volunteers do this gig because they find it enjoyable or fulfilling.

Now imagine an alternative universe where all the volunteers didn't find it fulfilling and just played xat pool with each other all day instead of answering tickets. The site would obviously fall apart, but who's at fault? The crux of the issue is that the admins brought on a group of people who didn't care enough to do it for free, and then didn't compensate them. The bad volunteers can't really help their own motivation, and it's hard to argue that they have some moral obligation to carry out their duties when they get nothing out of it (and the admins do). So really, the only options are:

1. The admins choose volunteers who will do the work without compensation

2. The admins start offering compensation (like giving them money or making their forum names even more exotic shades of purple) for doing the work

Either way, this is the admins' responsibility, not the volunteers'.

Again, this doesn't exactly have to do with this thread. Just a reminder think about who you're pointing your finger at.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
38 minutes ago, Communism said:

1. The admins choose volunteers who will do the work without compensation

2. The admins start offering compensation (like giving them money or making their forum names even more exotic shades of purple) for doing the work.

We do to some extent, and right now I think it's enough.

However, being able to pick our own colors would be nice. (tired)

• Advanced Members

This was a rollercoaster of a read. 

Here's an idea. A paid member of staff who works Monday to Friday 9am-5pm with the aim of improving this sites tragic and bias customer service, in order to improve the service in the long run!

• Advanced Members
16 hours ago, Ryan said:

This was a rollercoaster of a read. 

Here's an idea. A paid member of staff who works Monday to Friday 9am-5pm with the aim of improving this sites tragic and bias customer service, in order to improve the service in the long run!

You can also hold your breath until it does?