Jump to content

React to messages with smilies :s - Version 1.55


Henrique
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members

It's unfortunate. As we know, Discord is somehow a competitor to xat.com (as are other social networks too: as insta, fb...), but Discord is the main competitor and there on the platform you don't need to get the " nitro" to react to messages from other users. It would be interesting for xat to opt for a free feature rather than daily subscribers. We are in the 21st century and we cannot be left behind in this regard, not everything is marketable! (sry)

  • Award 4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
37 minutes ago, xLaming said:

It's basically same thing, you can recharge your account with 30 days and you'll have the entire month xD

 

Not really. You could get nitro for a year on discord for just $100 USD // 9.99 per month -> (Nitro classic is $50 per year // 4.99 per month). AND you don't even "need" nitro to enjoy discord at its fullest. You can share actual pictures, the mobile app isn't buggy and is extremely user-friendly, there's voice calling too (these features are FREE by the way). You don't even need powers to indicate your online status. You can get bots on servers for free too.

 

xat has always been lacking in this regard and though the new HTML5 additions are very welcome and show xat is heading towards the right direction, there's a reason why xat is still unpopular compared to modern platforms like Discord. Therefore, I agree that xat should opt for more "free" features like the react emotes.

  • Award 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

i kinda agree with that! Not everything has to be paid for. Some options should be free of charge to even give the newbies a chance to try it without having to pay! Eventually they will pay to buy powers regardless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Game Makers
28 minutes ago, Enter said:

 

Not really. You could get nitro for a year on discord for just $100 USD // 9.99 per month -> (Nitro classic is $50 per year // 4.99 per month). AND you don't even "need" nitro to enjoy discord at its fullest. You can share actual pictures, the mobile app isn't buggy and is extremely user-friendly, there's voice calling too (these features are FREE by the way). You don't even need powers to indicate your online status. You can get bots on servers for free too.

 

xat has always been lacking in this regard and though the new HTML5 additions are very welcome and show xat is heading towards the right direction, there's a reason why xat is still unpopular compared to modern platforms like Discord. Therefore, I agree that xat should opt for more "free" features like the react emotes.

Maybe I agree in something like:

 

Free -> limited smilies/reactions

Paid -> any smiley/reaction

 

That would be the best option for it.

  • Done! 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, Sydno said:

If it's free, you are the product. Would you rather be the product or accept to pay to get something in exchange?

 

The software you are mentioning operating costs are widely covered by big investors that may later on ask for ROI (and possibly try to milk users a way or another). Mark my words, such a software will most likely puts ads or make you pay or sell your personal data whenever investors ask for cash back (no, nitro doesn't fully cover operating costs and no, it doesn't grant you that much of perks compared to xat powers).

 

You cannot compare that to xat where there is no investor at all (ie no base money to work with to pay a dev team, etc).

 

If I were you, I would rather be suspicious of all these nice free features from big new companies (who could have guessed youtube would get so many ads a few years ago? Or that Facebook would sell your personal data?) than of xat, that is actually quite transparent on how it makes money (powers, subscriptions) and that does make you pay for something if it has additional operating costs.

 

Yes, it is less sexy, but it is far more realistic. ie you should lower your expectations, nothing is free, especially on the 21st century.

 

TL;DR you cannot compare two completely opposed business models.

That makes perfect sense. I agree with you, I'm glad that xat doesn't do what these big companies do tbh. but still! Not every thing they implement has to be paid for! Some things should be free for the sake of users loving platform regardless of them paying or not, give a chance to the newbies because come on! xat is kinda so late to the competition so do something to attract new people in :$ or to even earn the current users loyalty! Small gestures matter though. Love the comment though! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Sydno said:

If I were you, I would rather be suspicious of all these nice free features from big new companies (who could have guessed youtube would get so many ads a few years ago? Or that Facebook would sell your personal data?) than of xat, that is actually quite transparent on how it makes money (powers, subscriptions) and that does make you pay for something if it has additional operating costs.

 

Yes, it is less sexy, but it is far more realistic. ie you should lower your expectations, nothing is free, especially on the 21st century.

 

TL;DR you cannot compare two completely opposed business models.

 

That's why xat doesn't grow. Do you want to trade resources that shouldn't be traded, because you volunteers don't start investing in xat with a certain amount? I understand that you are volunteers and not investors, but if you want to continue with the platform and see it at the top, why not help the admin with some investments? A kind of "kitty"? Why don't you create a topic asking for a certain investment from users? I believe that users should be aware of the conditions of the platform, as we users have ample freedom to discuss and suggest improvements to xat. I know nothing is free, but I don't believe xat can't afford this feature. It's unfortunate the way things are taking. A simple reaction feature being marketed, that's where you can see how retrograde xat is. Well, I hope the admin will consider this suggestion for the future.

 

 

4 hours ago, xLaming said:

It's basically same thing, you can recharge your account with 30 days and you'll have the entire month xD

 

It's not the same thing because such a reaction feature is free, the user is not required to pay to react to a simple message. (sry)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

@Sydno xat will only be able to attract investors with many users accessing the platform, and for users to access the platform they need to like the content. Can you imagine a Discord user accessing xat for the first time and knowing that 50% of the resources are simply limited? That a simple reaction feature that right there on the platform he came out of is COMPLETELY FREE. Do you understand where I want to go? It's very simple.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members

You guys need to understand, as volunteers, they need to be supportive of xat.  They do not make the rules.  Why would they also "invest money", when they already invest time?

I agree though. Something so simple as react should be free.  Toons are people too. :'(  Maybe they should make the resellers and influencers the investors, with this thought process. (rolleyes)

 

 

  • Award 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Game Makers
2 hours ago, Henrique said:

because you volunteers don't start investing in xat with a certain amount?

LOL, did i read that?

 

They are volunteers, they are already working for free.

 

Why does they need to pay for help? This is nosense.

 

I agree that xat would open to investors, but, first xat need a marketing team to start ads on social communities, spend a bit of $$ and a lot of other steps.

 

Simply opening it to investors won't help.

 

Also it's a paid feature because xat needs to pay hosting, domains, servers, forum licenses. Per month this can easily reach 1000 USD.

 

xat doesn't sell your information to AdSense/AdWords etc, so it's very fair, if you want something you pay for.

  • Award 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, xLaming said:

They are volunteers, they are already working for free.

You did, but it wouldn't be mandatory, as they spend 50% of their time on the platform and the closest users are aware of the platform's conditions, why not? Did you also read the topic of investment by users too? Here's another suggestion, it would be optional and I'm sure some would help. What I don't really agree with is to force the user to buy a day in order to have a resource that on the competitor's platform is free, I emphasize once again: this way no investor will come because the number of users will continue to fall. It's better to start changing now before it's too late. (cute)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

It strikes me too much that you use the term "force", when it isnt true, each social network is different, each social network grows and invests in its own way if necessary, the use of reactions is not mandatory, we have WhatsApp where there is no There are reactions and I dont see people complaining about that, we have Twitter, which doesnt have the same functions as Facebook or Instagram, so I dont understand why compare different social networks, when users already know which social network to use or not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Henrique said:

You did, but it wouldn't be mandatory, as they spend 50% of their time on the platform and the closest users are aware of the platform's conditions, why not? Did you also read the topic of investment by users too? Here's another suggestion, it would be optional and I'm sure some would help. What I don't really agree with is to force the user to buy a day in order to have a resource that on the competitor's platform is free, I emphasize once again: this way no investor will come because the number of users will continue to fall. It's better to start changing now before it's too late. (cute)

There is absolutely zero chance any sane volunteer would invest any significant amount of money into xat, even if they do love the site and help out where they can. Relying on volunteers to invest anything, let alone enough money to make any real impact, would be a terrible plan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members

What you should be lobbying for instead is for your favorite chats to have "subscriber days" to draw the crowds in. 

Hey on August 1st...xat.com/noname is giving any visitor not registered 5 days to register if you spend the day in chat.  Any registered user without days, will receive a free day.

This brings people to your chat, encourages them to register, and once they see the features of being subscribed...they want more and buy. I did this in trades early days and it worked.

 

  • Award 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.