Jump to content

New pawn for influencers


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Members

If it's not known on youtube or xat.com, that doesn't mean it's not famous or has a history behind it.

Youtube,twitter is not looking for subscribers, followers.
Linus Torvalds
It was a person with 3 subscribers and was verified on youtube. [I don't remember the name, I'm sure of what I'm saying]

I don't compare Youtube to xat.com and I don't criticize it. [It is not how much you have or receive, but how much you do, you give].
It is not 100% necessary to have a youtube or twitter channel to get this pawn.
I do not want to disappoint those who said or thought that you have to have millions of subscribers to get this pawn and did not agree with those who have few followers to receive this pawn.
 

My question is who will be able to maintain this pawn, [Admin mentioned that this pawn can be removed without warning or reason].
I think they are more afraid to maintain this pawn and not by those who will receive it. (hippo)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
On 6/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, Flake said:

if members of certain staff groups have a history of shady activity, why are they staff in the first place. if they can't be trusted to leave their position on good terms, why are they staff in the first place

 

I've been asking that question for the last decade. Lol.

 

The reality is it is hard to vet anonymous people on the internet. Even someone who seems trusted can be hiding their intentions. All it takes is one or two bad apples to make the whole system a mistake. Plus, 'usefulness' has often outweighed trustworthiness, responsibility, and morality on this website. 

 

I'm still torn, but there probably isn't any point to discuss this any further. It's not like the opinions of the community matter on most topics.

Edited by Steven
  • Award 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Steven said:

I've been asking that question for the last decade. Lol.

 

The reality is it is hard to vet anonymous people on the internet. Even someone who seems trusted can be hiding their intentions. All it takes is one or two bad apples to make the whole system a mistake. Plus, 'usefulness' has often outweighed trustworthiness, responsibility, and morality on this website. 

 

I'm still torn, but there probably isn't any point to discuss this any further. It's not like the opinions of the community matter on most topics.

"I'm still torn, but there probably isn't any point to discuss this any further. It's not like the opinions of the community matter on most topics." This Quote right here.  If Nothing Else the responses to this original post really do show the disconnect that Admin has with their users & communities, It shows how out of touch they are with their own product. 

the post also shows how unwilling they are to listen to their Users & Community.

Long time users and or people who enjoy & support xat, whom wish to see the site & it's communities thrive, should not be made to feel this way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
16 hours ago, Steven said:

I've been asking that question for the last decade. Lol.

 

The reality is it is hard to vet anonymous people on the internet. Even someone who seems trusted can be hiding their intentions. All it takes is one or two bad apples to make the whole system a mistake. Plus, 'usefulness' has often outweighed trustworthiness, responsibility, and morality on this website. 

 

I'm still torn, but there probably isn't any point to discuss this any further. It's not like the opinions of the community matter on most topics.

 

i agree for the most part. a unique verification system for all staff areas seems useful in quite a few aspects, but with the nature of how people become staff meaning a large amount of anonymity, i can see how it could backfire to an extent. i'm personally not aware of many instances, if any, where staff on this site abuse their power in a way that's similar to what you mentioned, so my previous posts may have been biased in that regard

 

on the other hand, there's also the point that the staff in their current state can still quite easily abuse their power in a similar way; a verification system would only be an extra element of credibility on top of their already existing credibility

 

really, the staff system as it is needs to be revamped in a way that creates less room for doubt with regards to the trustworthiness of the staff, verification system or not. this seems to be the factor that is making a verification system an even remotely difficult decision

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
4 hours ago, Sydno said:

 

 

I don't know many xat competitors that could say the same, and this is without mentioning the abyssal differences in fundings between other competitors and xat.

 

Sky verified pawn is a new change and it was said multiple times it would be revisited if the pawn doesn't meet the expectations. xat Admin have indeed read most of the community (fair in some cases) criticisms but now is time to wait and see whether that works.

 

One cannot reasonably expect a whole website to bend under their concerns even before a change is implemented, especially on a free-to-use service. I don't think it's a fair criticism to say xat doesn't listen just because a new pawn goes through a handful negative opinions.

Are there really xat competitors?  There are sites with implementations and purposes of their own. None quite like xat.

 

"Sky verified pawn is a new change and it was said multiple times it would be revisited if the pawn doesn't meet the expectations"... Just like it said cyan would be revisited or the countless "broken powers".

 

"especially on a free-to-use service." is it really though? or is the site built on buying xats and subscriber days to have more features? Nothing is free in the end.

 

Noone has the right to  diminish the concerns of it's users, or simply  brush them off.  The xat users make this site what it is.    I can not understand why volunteers especially would push for this agenda and not push further for an actual verification system to better the community and xat as a whole.

 

we Should value each others opinions and grow. My words are aimed at new one directly

Edited by Christina
  • Award 2
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Sydno said:

This probably comes from different users but I do not understand how at the same time one could criticize xat for:

- relying on users' help rather than on employees (making the website partly community-run) ;

- not listening to the community.

 

because there is clearly a difference between part of the community helping the devs, and the devs listening to the community. you seem to be conflating the two things, when they clearly don't go hand in hand:

  1. part of the community helping the site doesn't require that their ideas are also listened to by the devs. there can quite easily be a system in which staff simply follow what the devs want and help them based upon that, without the ideas from the staff being listened to
  2. even if we do assume that part of the community helping the site must require that they are also being listened to by the devs, what about the rest of the community?

additionally, the two things you mentioned aren't mutually exclusive; xat could quite easily adopt a system whereby it is simultaneously employee based and the higher ups listen to what the community has to say

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Game Makers

Well, I will give my input.

 

I think 90% of the comments on this post aren't related to it (not only normal users who strayed from the subject)

 

People are worried about staff, who will have the pawn etc, but they haven't even read the post title (THIS IS A PAWN FOR INFLUENCERS!!), they're just focused on the last lines, as always nobody cares or knows how to interpret the scope of the idea.

 

The main idea is to give this pawn to influencers, as described in the post, devs, volunteers etc will have it, but it doesn't say that it will be forever.

 

Even because it explains that it can be removed at any time, the fact is that this pawn is for the influencers, you have reached a point in the discussion that is already far of the subject... "Who listens/suggests things, opinion of who is more important etc."

 

Yes I understand and agree, this pawn could be for the staff and cyan for influencers. Rank hover, verification system, badges are really good ideas. And I'm sure, these ideas were never discarded, because keeping a pawn of influencers for the staff wouldn't make much sense in the long run.

 

Your guys have to read the entire post to understand that this could change at any time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Sydno said:

This probably comes from different users but I do not understand how at the same time one could criticize xat for:

- relying on users' help rather than on employees (making the website partly community-run) ;

- not listening to the community.

There's a difference between listening to the general community's opinions and handing the keys to a select few to do whatever they want with few repercussions. 

 

I'm not trying to be overly negative in this thread; I think the idea has solid benefits and is worth trying as I've said, I just thought I'd point out a few potential risks and flaws. I'll have to take your word for it that the admins have heard the concerns and will be watching for abuse or areas to improve. 

  • Award 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
1 hour ago, xLaming said:

Well, I will give my input.

 

I think 90% of the comments on this post aren't related to it (not only normal users who strayed from the subject)

 

People are worried about staff, who will have the pawn etc, but they haven't even read the post title (THIS IS A PAWN FOR INFLUENCERS!!), they're just focused on the last lines, as always nobody cares or knows how to interpret the scope of the idea.

 

The main idea is to give this pawn to influencers, as described in the post, devs, volunteers etc will have it, but it doesn't say that it will be forever.

 

Even because it explains that it can be removed at any time, the fact is that this pawn is for the influencers, you have reached a point in the discussion that is already far of the subject... "Who listens/suggests things, opinion of who is more important etc."

 

Yes I understand and agree, this pawn could be for the staff and cyan for influencers. Rank hover, verification system, badges are really good ideas. And I'm sure, these ideas were never discarded, because keeping a pawn of influencers for the staff wouldn't make much sense in the long run.

 

Your guys have to read the entire post to understand that this could change at any time.

 

even if it is the main point, few people (if any) actually care about the idea of a pawn for 'influencers'; it's essentially an extension of what already exists (cyan pawn) which has already been proven as something which has no real use to the overwhelming majority of the site. the idea of a pawn for staff (thus the idea of verification for staff) brings a far more interesting discussion since it could have good practical use, and discussion surrounding that is hardly off-topic given it was literally mentioned in the main post

Edited by Flake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Game Makers
11 minutes ago, Flake said:

 

even if it is the main point, few people (if any) actually care about the idea of a pawn for 'influencers'; it's essentially an extension of what already exists (cyan pawn) which has already been proven as something which has no real use to the overwhelming majority of the site. the idea of a pawn for staff (thus the idea of verification for staff) brings a far more interesting discussion since it could have good practical use, and discussion surrounding that is hardly off-topic given it was literally mentioned in the main post

Perfectly fine, I don't disagree, I only meant that this may be changed at any time or even rolled back later.

 

It doesn't seem to be a permanent thing, and I don't see this as a valid discussion, even because the post wasnt focused on it.

 

I really agree 100000%, I'd love to see xat volunteers (not only the group, but all them, e.g. site translators, contributors, volunteers, devs, smiley makers etc) getting a verification badge, would be enough, for some it would work to prevent against scams, others as a reward for all their effords. No loses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Game Makers
8 minutes ago, Abrahan said:

If as a xat user I feel a little disappointed to see some of the negative comments here, I don't even want to imagine the Admin.

 

Turn the page, let's see what happens.

I don't think the comments were negative, they just got a little out of context, getting into other issues etc.

 

But all the comments related to the post were good ideas, and later admins might consider adding these suggestions based on the feedback received.

 

But yes some people were ungrateful or indecisive, always asked for a new pawn, and now it's added but they're criticizing. Most of those who are criticizing are those who were or are in some way part of xat's staff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Abrahan said:

If as a xat user I feel a little disappointed to see some of the negative comments here, I don't even want to imagine the Admin.

 

Turn the page, let's see what happens.

 

there's a difference between criticism and negativity

 

1 hour ago, xLaming said:

But yes some people were ungrateful or indecisive, always asked for a new pawn, and now it's added but they're criticizing. Most of those who are criticizing are those who were or are in some way part of xat's staff.

 

a pawn being implemented at all doesn't mean that it's a good implementation. people are allowed to criticise what they think is a bad implementation of a pawn and simultaneously want a pawn in the context of what they see as a better implementation

 

you're reaching for a hypocrisy when there isn't one

Edited by Flake
  • Award 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Wiki Translators

I'm not really targeting any person in this discussion, don't take it personal, but we've all seen those users, who're greatly affected by ranks, it gives them a sense of prestige or power. Imagine such people seeing an "influencer" with their special pawn joining the chat. 

 

I guess some people are just afraid they lose their status with this new pawn, specially when its near impossible for them to get.

 

Generally, I like the idea, only if the influencers are actively promoting xat, otherwise I think it will create unnecessary attention and they will probably be a magnet for harassment (hope not).

 

Edited by Jasmine
  • Award 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Members

I absolutely disagree in giving the pawn only to volunteer smile makers etc., they are a fundamental part of the site this is also true but let's not forget the paying users they keep everything going, so in my opinion put it on the store for a few digits, and give it for free to those who have collaborated in recent years. remember that the gasoline of the site are the paying users.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.