New pawn for influencers

Admin

• Advanced Members
22 minutes ago, Admin said:

For now other sky pawn users are ticket volunteers, developers, smileymakers and resellers who buy from xat.

I just want to explain my disagreement with the pawn being shared with other users who are not Influencers, except for the developers for testing.

I hope the ''for now'' is until we officially have the first influencer.

Thanks for bringing this to the new xat chat!

• Award 1

• Volunteers

It's very exciting to have a new pawn, and I'm optimistic about the long-term benefits it could have on bringing more users to xat!

I'm personally not in favour of ticket volunteers, developers, smiley makers and certain resellers all being given the pawn, because I think it does diminish the appeal of it to influencers. It won't be as exclusive as Cyan pawn if 20-odd users have it, but as admin says the final decision hasn't been taken yet.

• Award 3
  • Done! 2
  • Like 1

• Members

Don't wanna brag but I consider myself a bit of an influencer so let me know when applications are open ;)

I love the idea of allowing volunteers, developers, smiley makers and resellers to have this pawn, but I wouldn't call them Influencers, unless its because they influenced this decision in some way. Honestly giving it out to non-influencers sort of undermines the purpose of it being for influencers, but I guess user feedback can't influence your decision.

• Advanced Members
16 minutes ago, Crow said:

It won't be as exclusive as Cyan pawn if 20-odd users have it, but as admin says the final decision hasn't been taken yet.

Exclusive. Hmm. How about elusive? Two people in the entire history of xat have had the cyan pawn, but somehow there is that much of a demand for such cosmetic effects that we now have a second category of celebrity on xat!

If xat really were bombarded with cyan pawn requests that just weren't good enough, then why don't they lower their standards for the pawn and use it as intended (a verification system) like other social media websites? It just seems fishy to me that a new pawn has been added for z-list celebrities and that also includes volunteers, developers, etc...?

Also, haven't xat users been asking for a new pawn for literally like forever? Instead of creating things that users actually want, we get this.

Edited by Daniel
  • Award 1
  • Done! 2

• Advanced Members
1 minute ago, Bob_ said:

Don't wanna brag but I consider myself a bit of an influencer so let me know when applications are open ;)

Please contact via private message a Volunteer or Contributor to have your case evaluated, remember to mention your USERNAME / ID and social networks.

• Members
11 minutes ago, Abrahan said:

Please contact via private message a Volunteer or Contributor to have your case evaluated, remember to mention your USERNAME / ID and social networks.

Thank you! Out of curiosity, what would be the minimum amount of followers I would need to get this beautiful pawn? :$

• Advanced Members
46 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Just out of curiosity, have any influencers who have "notable space on other social network communities" approached xat recently?

Since Techrax (if you can even call him an "influencer") I'd like to gamble that number being zero, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

58 minutes ago, Admin said:

For now other sky pawn users are...resellers who buy from xat.

Are you now officially endorsing resellers as official vendors of xats? I, and the reasonable person, would take this as a yes. So just clarify. By also stating this, I expect that means that anyone who doesn't buy from xat, but do resell are not official endorsed?

The issue here is it's stated numerous times throughout the website they're not endorsed, and by giving them a pawn for reselling, they now are. Clarity, please. :)

31 minutes ago, Crow said:

I'm personally not in favour of ticket volunteers, developers, smiley makers and certain resellers all being given the pawn, because I think it does diminish the appeal of it to influencers.

Also, it comes back down to the mentality that people have on xat, because it's not a position earnt on merit on an application basis, but more so on who you know and how long you spend on xat. - People will want to become volunteer for the pawn, to show off on xat, because the volunteers are from the xat userbase. Simple.

Here's an idea, make the volunteers staff, give them a snazzy pawn and a living wage and that seems a useful way to utilise this pawn. 

Edited by Karl
  • Award 2
  • Like 2

• Advanced Members
11 minutes ago, Bob_ said:

Grazie! Per curiosità, quale sarebbe la quantità minima di follower di cui avrei bisogno per ottenere questo bellissimo pedone? :$

Admin clearly wrote that it doesn't matter the number of followers but the activity a candidate does on their social networks. 

• Advanced Members

Is this primarily intended as a marketing tool? Have influencers advertise xat to increase its audience?

I personally believe that interest-based chats are something xat should be pushing; a chat called "baseball" for baseball discussions, operated by someone knowledgable about the subject, for example. Then the chat could be promoted (made "official" if you'd like) and advertised by xat. I think there is a user base out there for a platform that offers chats that are meant to discuss real-world industries or topics. And using influencers in these spaces to promote the website could certainly attract bases to specific interest-based chat groups. In that regard, if your intention here is to market xat in a new way, I think you're onto something. 

However, other brands pay influencers and provide discounted or free products to both them and their audiences when they promote these brands. How is giving influencers a coloured pawn really going to persuade them to advertise and market xat when other brands are willing to actually provide something for that service?

It seems to be a common trend that xat expects people to do things for free that any other business would pay for.

Also giving this to volunteers and developers seems like an afterthought that will confuse users about its purpose, too. I feel like these should be two different pawns. 

Edited by Steven
  • Award 4
  • Like 1

• Contributors

I only see this as a new strategy, so that through a celebrity or influencer xat is better known and expands to a larger mass of users and in this way attracts people, which is "valid", but through all this time I have not seen more than two celebrities, and to be honest, they don't even go into chat. 

And to be even more honest, I don't think that a person who has a notable influence on other social networks, would advertise just like that, or in exchange for nothing, or simply in exchange for the color of a pawn in a chat or network that that person may not use much.

xat in its best years, didn't have more "celebrities" currently I don't have a movement that hooks me to think that now it will be different. Ah, but wait! "Then... in the absence of that, take into account the Volunteers for the new pawn, and influencers that contributors suggest".  ¬¬'

Edited by RobFerrari
  • Done! 1

• Advanced Members

About the influencers pawn I agree in part, I see that some would not want something that was not ''beneficial'' for them, even more if the influencer was not someone active. It may be that in the future the idea of being given only one ''pawn'' will change. 

It could improve the way they deal with social networks, and if this gives ''influencers'' is something for MARKETING, it would be more feasible to use your own marketing network, showing, promoting, doing weekly / monthly events.

In the case of other positions involving volunteers / developers, instead of adding a ''unique'' pawn for them, why not give them a VERIFIED SEAL? Wouldn't it be more helpful? This would definitely decrease the chance of scams and robberies by xat.

Edited by slint
  • Award 1

• Advanced Members

I hope I can make some clarification here:

Through the years, many users have applied for the Cyan pawn, but none of them deserved it. However, some of them were users that could be considered influencers rather than celebrities. For this reason, it was proposed that xat implements a new pawn for users that are popular on social media, users who would also help xat by advertising the website on their platforms. This is the reason why this pawn has been created, it hasn't been created just for the sake of it. There IS a reason behind it. In this aspect, I'm personally happy that this has been implemented because it definitely opens doors. 

As for ticket volunteers, smiley makers, developers and resellers getting it; I'd like to clarify that we (volunteers) did not ask for this pawn to be given to us. And I'm sure none of the people that will get it asked for it either. It was a surprise for us (volunteers) when we were told that all of us will get it too, it's something we did not expect at all. I'm clarifying this because some people here seem to think that we explicitly asked to be included in the "list", so you now know we did not.

What's the reason behind it?

The reason behind the decision of including all of us is that this pawn acts like a verification system, because we obviously cannot be considered influencers. Of course this defeats the main purpose of this pawn which is identifying real influencers from other platforms, but this is the way xat administrators have decided to implement it and we will have to respect it.

Main reasons are:

1. Acknowledge the time and efforts we give to xat.

2. Stopping impersonators.

3. It is an incentive to help.

I think it's clear that this is not the final decision. This means that the people who are getting it now might lose it in the future and different ways of verification would be implemented on the website. I've personally asked for another way to verify ticket volunteers, so time will speak by itself. Do not get angry, things might change in the near future. We could say this is like a test.

And for your information: You can also apply for this pawn by opening a ticket.

• Award 2
  • Done! 2

• Advanced Members
8 minutes ago, Solange said:

Main reasons are:

1. Acknowledge the time and efforts we give to xat.

2. Stopping impersonators.

3. It is an incentive to help.

Sorry, but this to me is an easy cop out of making you staff. A living wage provides 1) a wage so you can dedicate MORE time and effort into xat, 2) stops impersonators cus u can have ur snazzy staff pawn and 3) a living wage, an even better incentive to do your JOB. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Members
21 minutes ago, slint said:

In the case of other positions involving volunteers / developers, instead of adding a ''unique'' pawn for them, why not give them a VERIFIED SEAL? Wouldn't it be more helpful? This would definitely decrease the chance of scams and robberies by xat.

The best way in my opinion to make this seal visible, would be on the star of the "subhide" for example, and also beside the nick/name of the volunteer or reseller for example. I thought this idea was wonderful and brilliant, stamp verification would be quite exciting.

1 hour ago, Luana said:

Admin clearly wrote that it doesn't matter the number of followers but the activity a candidate does on their social networks. 

Anyway I think this idea is very good and I believe it will be well received by users in practice.

• Bot Service Providers

Hello,

I agree, and I really liked the color of this pawn,

It's a good start to try to bring us famous ppl from social networks, as long as these ppl have discounts and some kind of benefits on xat, as mentioned above (it's the only way to keep them).

You can advertise xat as "something to keep in touch between your followers and you", but some things need to be improved...

We see a lot of complaints about "broken features/powers" and this is not right, new users won't stay if them see that.

Transparency must also be considered, you can't just open up for users to submit applications without it being clear the rules, requirements, etc.

E.g: if you have a food-related twitter and you're not a person, this may be considered?

• Like 1

• Contributors
22 minutes ago, xLaming said:

Transparency must also be considered, you can't just open up for users to submit applications without it being clear the rules, requirements, etc.

Exactly, I think that before starting with the development of this possible idea, xat should improve the functions that are currently broken. Which includes: powers, games, macros, lag, and more.

22 minutes ago, xLaming said:

E.g: if you have a food-related twitter and you're not a person, this may be considered?

By this you mean, if the account is a company/or related to a specific topic and not a person for example? Plus: If considered, what if more than one person is behind the influence account?  E.g: 2. Since there are many accounts like this, in a team of two people.

• Advanced Members

Can I apply for the pawn since I helped influence the idea to make virtual powers.  

You can "buy"  subscribers on any platform as well.  I also was in a well known cabbage patch commercial long ago.

I also owned a site that had over 1M followers that was based off xat.  I also still recall Ashley Leggats manager asking me to leave

because I received more attention than she did. I think I have influenced xat alot through the years. 

For those that really do not know...this is all sarcasm.  I am just making a point for what I feel is the greater good.

When I, as a former volunteer, wanted a cyan pawn, it was made for me, but never given to me.

When you, as Admin needed a gift to give to Ashley, you came to me and asked if I minded.  I said sure go ahead.

I do not understand why volunteers or anyone needs special recognition of a pawn now either.

Karls points also fit best.  You in past have ALWAYS taken a stand resellers are not official.  Giving them a pawn, changes that.

Giving volunteers a pawn is a slap in the face to those before them, as well as those around them, such as contributors, wiki editors, 

etc who contribute to xat on a daily basis. 

• Award 4
  • Wow 1
  • Like 5

• Advanced Members

Because rank means nothing to me, it doesn't matter if someone has a pawn or not, if someone is famous and someone else is less famous, if someone helps more and someone less.
All that matters is everyone's contribution and being happy with everything you did knowing you could do more, but you did everything you could.

I like to see new things added, I agree 100% to be added, all our descendants deserve to feel good, much better than us. [
If we haven't had or won't have, others deserve it.

I know, this has been discussed many times and nothing has ever been applied because most were against it, and now, seeing that the admin´s wants to apply this, they are not happy with this idea.

Stop messing with the past because it hurts, just look into the future and live with the present.
Many want to be volunteers, many were volunteers and didn't know how to maintain.

Let's be happy for the admin´s initiative and enjoy everything he wants to do.

Regards Bau

• Cool 2
  • Done! 1
  • Like 3

• Volunteers

I disagree with giving the pawn to volunteers, smiley makers or any sort of listed reseller as the pawn should be strictly for social media users. If xat wants a special verification indication on chats, that should be a completely separate initiative and some sort of checkmark or badge would be more ideal than giving them a pawn that could confuse users in the long run. I also disagree with giving volunteers any sort of special indication as we should find better ways to educate users about scams while also having a list of volunteers within the chat itself (ie. the quickbar). With that said, if xat were to implement badges of some sort, they should include ones for every role group on the site (ie. developers, volunteers, smiley makers, wiki editors etc), similar to what we have on the forum. 

The idea in general isn't bad to try and attract new audiences but without the proper organization and leadership behind it, I'm not sure how successful this will be. A lot of ideas and thoughts will have to be discussed to ensure this is integrated the best way possible (ie. will these influencers get compensation on the service as well as receiving the pawn? Will these influencers have a role with the official chat community?). The pawn isn't something that should be given out to everyone and it should require a continuous effort to maintain it. Obviously nothing seems to be really set in stone right now but I'm sure everyone can expect more details and information as time goes on. 

• Award 3
  • Like 5

• Volunteers
9 hours ago, Christina said:

Giving volunteers a pawn is a slap in the face to those before them, as well as those around them, such as contributors, wiki editors, 

etc who contribute to xat on a daily basis. 

7 hours ago, Bau said:

Stop messing with the past because it hurts, just look into the future and live with the present.

I really appreciate Bau's words regarding this criticism, although I understand where the criticism comes from.

Anyone can always find a viewing angle where a decision or an idea is unfair but we shouldn't hold back ourselves because of past experiences. Because past volunteers (or smiley makers, developers, resellers, etc) did not have a chat feature, then none of these should ever have one? This does sound very restrictive and unfair for the website development.

As for other xat contributors, you could hear me argue hours on how wiki translators are crucial for xat, or on how I believe chat managers are not always given the appreciation they should receive compared to contributors. You could also argue that owners of very popular chats are more impactful than the manager of a small chat. The thing is we are all important in different ways, and when it comes to this type of feature, a line must be drawn. Whatever line is drawn, you will always find room for criticism on why this group has it but not that other group, etc.

Although I agree we should also find other ways to prevent scams, and although I agree we shouldn't rely on this type of incentive to help out, I must admit the line was well thought out.

Please note this rather is a "verified" pawn, first anf foremost, meant to verify influencers that happen to be using xat and, on an Admin-discretionary basis, some volunteers (as in anyone who volunteer time to help, not as in ticket volunteer) and resellers.

The wording is important to convey the right message. As far as I'm concerned, no volunteer (ticket, devs, smiley makers, etc.) has been secretly pushing for being verified as an influencer just to get a special pawn.

• Award 2
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members

if one of the intentions here is to give influencers an incentive to come to this site and potentially advertise the site (for free, lol), then this change seems almost entirely redundant with regards to that

influencers who don't already come here won't come here and potentially advertise with essentially no incentive other than a unique pawn, literally none of them will care, the only people who care are people who are already users of the site. and i'd imagine there are very few or no people currently on xat who are both big enough influencers to where it matters and would also be willing to advertise for no monetary return

i really don't get what the point is in giving influencers a unique pawn outside of this, and there are far better routes that could be taken in terms of advertising the site and making site advertisement more viable

the one thing about this that I think could be good is giving a reward to the people who actually work for this site (vols, smiley makers, resellers, wiki editors, contributors, etc) who get close to nothing in return (resellers arguably being an exception) a reward, and simultaneously having mechanical usage by making such users more easily identifiable and mitigating issues of trust since they can now be easily identified (this seems especially useful for resellers and volunteers)

however, for the former (giving a reward to staff), it seems very disingenuous for a unique pawn to be the ONLY reward; it seems like a cop out so that monetary / greater monetary return for what the staff are doing is not required when it still very much should be

in terms of the latter (the pawn giving mechanical usage), it would make far more sense to give separate indicators to resellers, smiley makers, volunteers, contributors, wiki editors, etc. rather than a universal indictor for all staff, since it would then become much easier for people to pick out who's who

Edited by Flake
  • Award 2