Contributor Monthly Log - April 2021

Abrahan

• Advanced Members

dark2-

At the beginning of a new month, someone from the Contributor group will post a topic providing a summary for discussions that were discussed in the Contributor section during the previous month. This is to allow the community to be more informed and have a better understanding of the Contributor group. If you have any concerns or suggestions that you would like to be brought to the attention of the Contributor group, message any of the Contributors.

You can see our previous logs here.

General Updates

xat Annual Budget for the year of 2021

Spoiler

xat will provide an annual donation of xats to Official Chats. The xats will be distributed from a predefined budget each year, and the managers of those chats will have autonomy on how and when to use them. They may be used for contests, giveaways, or any other events the manager decides on, as long as they are distributed in a fair and transparent way, and for the benefit of the chat and not specific users. The budget can be split over multiple events or however many the manager chooses. Not all Official Chats are able to be included, for budgeting reasons. We will be happy to read your comments about this.

Ongoing Discussions

These topics are currently ongoing. If you would like to offer feedback and/or suggestions, feel free to send me a message, and I'd be happy to convey it to the rest of the group. You can also post a comment if you would like to offer feedback and/or suggestions.

Help chats on auto-promotion

Spoiler

Certain help chats, such as Assistance and Yardim, are currently auto-promoted on xat's homepage, but others are not. It was suggested that either all help chats should be eligible for auto-promotion, provided they are active and well managed, or all help chats should be removed from auto-promotion. This change would be for fairness reasons, although another user suggested communities should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis rather than making a broad decision for all.

Appeal against decisions to block xat access in Turkey

Spoiler

xat.com is currently blocked in Turkey due to their government's social media laws. A member of the group suggested xat admins try to appeal the block via the Turkish legal process. This may help boost the number of Turkish users on the website. However, this would be a very complex, expensive process with no guarantee of any results. The discussion remains open.

Announcements and promotions via email

Spoiler

Back in February, a member of the group suggested an opt-in feature for users to receive promotional emails from xat about events and updates related to the website. These emails would be another way for users to receive information about xat alongside the forum and social media platforms. Users could also unsubscribe from the emails any time they wanted. Our discussion remains ongoing.

• Solange featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Advanced Members

I'd like to see in future "Announcements and promotions via email" it would be very useful to alert old users and giving possibility to new users accept or not when registering at xat with these announcements and promotions via email.

Why it would be very useful?

It will bring the old users, alot of users in determined days come into chats saying "wow xat still alives, that's, i just was searching something with X and i found xat in my emails." Then it's clearly a good point. Also these old and new users will have a option to unfollow.

There's not bad opinion.

Unblocking xat in turkey;

Unblocking xat in turkey is clearly a good point, but a decision as told very complicate cause it's envolving laws. But can't discart the point that it could brings new turkish users.

Note: until same if someday there for some advertising on other social networks.

Help chats in auto-promotion;

Clearly these chats aren't only one promoteds there is alot yet. But the point is that putting these help chats can be a good way to give more informations/knowledge and interaction to the users in every xat.com cause I see that xat forum don't have X % of users activity/registered as in xat chats.

xat Annual Budget for the year of 2021;

Well, I don't know exactly if xat already has given to these chats manager something to keep the chats with background and everything.... but i'll leave my opinion about that.

If there's something to give, then i say (why not test powers?)

It could be more simple and safe, until same to avoid abuses of own chats manager (i'm not assuming that them can make that, but only a way better and safe without any injustice.)

Also if chats manager receive something to keep the chats with background/background contests and etc i assume that keep like this and do not change nothing same if it's only for the year 2021. I'm not discarting that it could be more fun and cool to the staffs receive some xats for their efforts haha!!! But that's still a volunteer job.

I was bored then i come to write what i think.

Thanjs for this contributor monthly log!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Announcements and promotions via email has been in discussion since February? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just a bit confused why there doesn't seem to be much progression in the discussion (at least not shared in the Monthly Logs from February/March/April). Is there an area that Contributors are disagreeing on or perhaps a lack of feedback for if this feature is essential? Because this would be relevant information to put in the Monthly logs that users could then give feedback on.

My personal opinion is that the feature would be beneficial, especially for people who use xat regularly. From what I currently understand Announcements would refer to - changes made to xat, updates for HTML5 and new powers. Then I would assume that promotions would be to promote events such as competitions that are posted on the forum or at official chats?

As for Appeal against decisions to block xat access in Turkey, I would say that it depends on whether xat has a sufficient amount of active Turkish users. If there aren't many users, then from a business standpoint it wouldn't be worth appealing it if you're at a loss financially. Though that's their decision so guess we'll wait and see on that one.

With Help chats on auto-promotion, I agree that it should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis rather than everyone gets auto-promotion. I feel that the chats that have more active and experienced staff should be prioritized as users will ideally want to have help with their problem asap. Though it may be beneficial to look at using Banner advertisements (If that's still a thing) as another way of allowing other Help chats to get promoted.

Looking at what has been proposed for xat Annual Budget for the year of 2021, it sounds somewhat similar to what Contests/Game chat used to have for some of their competitions. This Budget would definitely be beneficial for contests (Especially seasonal events), but I could see it being used towards promotion costs for some official chats too. Not sure if the Help chats have something in place already so forgive me if this is already a thing, but there could be a 'Helper of the Month' award to give incentive for staff members to be active & helpful. Again this probably depends on what the Manager of that chat wants to do, though I'm interested to know if all the official chats included in this budget would be allocated the same amount or would certain chats get less/more? I would assume the latter, but still interested to know.

• Award 2

• Contributors

Hey Bob! Sorry for the late answer.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:34 AM, Bob_ said:

Announcements and promotions via email has been in discussion since February? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just a bit confused why there doesn't seem to be much progression in the discussion (at least not shared in the Monthly Logs from February/March/April). Is there an area that Contributors are disagreeing on or perhaps a lack of feedback for if this feature is essential? Because this would be relevant information to put in the Monthly logs that users could then give feedback on.

Then I would assume that promotions would be to promote events such as competitions that are posted on the forum or at official chats?

You are right. Promotions would be used to inform about updates, competitions, specific information that has a benefit for the user... Just like an e-mail marketing campaign used by any other company, to add some context to the idea. 

The discussion remains ongoing because we are in a point where we don't know if the risk of sending those e-mails is worth the reward, and we haven't reached a consensus about it. Let us know your point of view if you are interested. 

Though it may be beneficial to look at using Banner advertisements (If that's still a thing) as another way of allowing other Help chats to get promoted.

I'll be adding your suggestion to the ongoing topic. We have been talking about promotion in general, but it could interesting to use banners specifically. Thank you!

but I could see it being used towards promotion costs for some official chats too.

Those xats are supposed to be exclusively used for contests/events that allow any user to join (if you promote the chat, users won't have a chance to win those xats. If you open a background contest, some people won't be able to join since designing is a skill that not everyone has).

though I'm interested to know if all the official chats included in this budget would be allocated the same amount or would certain chats get less/more?

You are right. Certain chats will be getting less/more depending on different factors but one of them is userbase. Bigger communities could spare xats more equally since there are more people there to participate. The less people you have, the easier it is to spare your xats to the same people, which is not the point of having an Annual Budget. The main objective is to spare xats equally and making sure that the same people won't be getting the most out of every single contest from every single community.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned but xat will be full transparent about the budget (including a post about what happened to the budget and the event details).

Don't forget that this is the first year and everything is up to change so in case you have any sort of suggestion, please we are happy to hear. 

• Award 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Crow unpinned this topic