How will the discontinuation of Flash affect you?

HelperNate

• Advanced Members

Adobe's statement regarding "end-of-life" for Flash: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Well, this is it. Flash will officially be discontinued starting in year 2021. It was nice to use while it lasted. How will the discontinuation of Flash affect you? Meaning, what will you miss, or you can no longer use when Flash is forced away?

Me personally, the discontinuation of Flash will affect me by not being able to use Flash xat, and I would also miss playing the old Flash games, as I think they would forcibly die as well. I grew up playing the old Flash games, so I will miss the Flash version of xat + the old Flash games.

• Award 1
  • Sad 2

• Volunteers

It's the end of an era, but I'm glad it's happening.

If we were still using Flash, we might not have made so many great improvements to xat. It's forced us to evolve for the better.

I've not used Flash outside xat very often, so it won't affect me on other platforms.

• Like 4

• Volunteers

There is a end to everything.

The future is between our hands with HTML5 et i'm glad we will finally be able to kill Flash from xat. It will (for sure) affect a lot of users but they will need to get used to something new.

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1

• Wiki Translators

5 minutes ago, Maxo said:

I hope this will not happen, without flash i can't come to xat especially it doesn't work on my mobile, so for me this will be complicated if it's true, maybe there will be a solution for this issue.

There's a solution: use HTML5 version. 

You can use xat.com throught your mobile device, so don't worry!

• Done! 1
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members

It's indeed the end of an era, it's been 24 years since Flash has been around.

But as everything in life, things come to an end whether we like it or not, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

I think Flash player has too many disadvantages by now. The lack of support on mobile phones, the need to install the Flash plugin or that it consumes a lot system resources. It's also deemed to be unsafe. Youtube for example switched their video player from Flash to HTML5 back in 2015.

Personally the end of Flash won't affect me much although it feels nostalgic. I haven't used xat Flash chat for a while and the new xat HTML5 chat is closer to its completion and already brings new features which Flash couldn't, with more to come in future!

• Done! 1
  • Like 1