[Actual Discussion] How to Get to Advanced Member Fast and Easy

Elie

• Contributors

First of all, yes I do also agree with a rule to be implemented. However, if you don't want to see posts being overcommented with "cool idea" and "good suggestion" then allow everyone to like posts even if you are not an advanced member so everyone will be able to share their thoughts using the like button if they don't have anything else to say. 

There is no reason to bring the contributors discussion again basically because contributors are normal users. If there's a new rule added then everyone (even contributors) will need to change the way they post.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Contributors ARE NOT normal users.  They have rank.  moment we group them...they surpass "normal user."

Threads are deleted or closed the moment someone wants to take away our freedoms.  Censorship is at its finest on the forums.

That is or should be the valid argument from the other side.  Some may argue that making a rule on what people post will chase users

away or make them refrain from posting.  I just can not agree when the grouped users are guiltiest of it.  I feel Tinks point is valid here and has merit.

I feel  a reminder that they represent the community should be enough though.  People tend to do what people see.  That was my point on saying not all

are born leaders.  

Jedi is correct...people follow their groups or friends.  Some are afraid to speak or state their own opinion.  I personally see it each day.

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

Maybe the term "Adv. Member" is abit wrong at the early stage. I would set that on like 200 posts. (THIS MIGHT SOLVE IT) And +forumfeature could be available from begin.

Apart from that, i am against adding a rule to forbid people using things like "good suggestions". Its not our choice to regulate whether someone wants to post constructive or not.

• Advanced Members

I quite agree of most of what people said here. Bringing this matter on the table specifically for users who posts almost pointless a comment without supporting their opinions. Some users even get likes for just posting ''Nice idea'' ''Good suggestion'' which is very disappointing when in the first place you are asking people their thought about the idea and not just how they feel in that idea. But I doubt how they post will change unless we have a specific rule to restrict them or unless we talk to them privately (lol maybe making a guide for them on how to post properly by not just posting ''Nice suggestion'' ''Good idea'' ''I like this idea''), maybe having a minimum limit on each comment to post in a thread would help a little to this issue. And I'm not even sure if they're aware of this discussions. To be honest I think restricting them to not post ''Good suggestion'' ''Nice idea'' would make them less not use forum anymore. I could think that the first reasons why they only join forum is because some of them are being asked by their friends to support their ideas and to comment in it. Sorry but I won't agree allowing newly joined users to be able to like a thread right away with their first post. It'd be abused like they can just likes and likes a threads without even posting. As for targeting Contributors I agree to some points, and yeah I'm guilty I'm not a debate friendly, but tbh there are so many contributors now but only a few of them participate in public community discussions which most people in forum thinks why are they a contributor in the first place.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
39 minutes ago, 6 said:

Maybe having a minimum limit on each comment to post in a thread would help a little to this issue.

"Good idea." -> "Hi I like your suggestion and i think this is a good idea so I hope that xat adds this because it is a good idea."

39 minutes ago, 6 said:

To be honest I think restricting them to not post ''Good suggestion'' ''Nice idea'' would make them less not use forum anymore. I could think that the first reasons why they only join forum is because some of them being asked by their friends to support their ideas and to comment in it.

Or maybe it will make them post more detailed "good lucks" and "good suggestions", fact is, it's impossible to know which way it will go and using it as a for or against is an appeal to probability.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Okay, I'll make a more serious post considering my other one was deleted, as everyone has to now be serious on xat for their opinion to be considered. :((

Who cares? Changes made should actually remove negative factors and/or have gains that outweigh negative factors... what are the negative factors? More pixels on your screen? Are you personally affected by having more pixels on your screen? Just ignore it and move on. In my opinion, deleting posts for posting things like this literally has a bigger negative factor... you actually have to go through the effort of deleting them.

If someone wants to say "lol good suggestion", let it be, why should anyone care? Who cares if someone wants to do this to get advanced member? Advanced member should be given to EVERYONE anyway, they're literally features free first time on most forums. I'd blame the poorly designed system for this as opposed to the people actually abusing it.

If there is any change to be made, it should be to give everyone who joins Advanced member. That way posts like this would never be made, and allow everyone to have the features which they should have, as they would on basically any other forum??

The only downside that I can see (if this even counts as a downside) is that people should earn things as a method for more people to stay active. But there's also a counterargument to that: what if the lack of features a non-advanced member has DETERS them from coming back? Along with the other two advantages I mentioned before, the downsides are unarguably heavily outweighed.

There's been a lot of arguing about this in the past because there is no set way for one to know if a message is accepted as spam. As an analogy, imagine you have a pile of sand. Take a grain of sand away from the pile. Keep doing this until you have one grain of sand. At what point is the pile of sand... no longer a pile of sand? At what point does a message become too simplistic and therefore considered spam? It isn't measurable, and so there will always be subjectivity.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

There's a new rule that covers post quality. We don't expect elaborate replies from now on, but we just expect that people won't post mindless, useless replies.

The other change we made is that regular members can give reputation now. We'll all be watching for reputation abuse though!

• Award 4

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Crow said:

I feel like the yellow boxes around volunteer's posts are going to attract more reputation. They look more important and more official than normal posts. Or is it just me being paranoid? :$

That's the point