[Actual Discussion] How to Get to Advanced Member Fast and Easy

Elie

• Members

Thanks, Elie! This is exactly what I needed to know!

Good luck to everyone trying to get Advanced Member. ;)

edit again: Yes! it's so annoying going through a thread about a contest only to see a bunch of "Good lucks." It gets so repetitive and usually takes a while until you find a post that actually had something worth reading. I know people do it good-naturedly, but it is really necessary? I think peope who post threads about contests should just write something along the lines of "Good luck to everyone entering on behalf of (whoever - users on the forum, etc.). Saves time and space. Also delete all the posts on suggestion that just say it's a nice suggestion. I'm guilty of this tbh.

• Award 1

• Volunteers

A very useful and insightful thread. Pin it immediately!

Although I do despise it when people post lazy comments (contributors do this too, never mind new members xD), it's still useful to gauge how well-received a suggestion is.

• Award 2

• Volunteers

I am completely against the "Nice idea I like" "Cool idea" comments. First of all, there is a like button, so use it??? Sure everyone is free to speak their opinion, but is posting good suggestion or I agree really adding to the discussion? Sorry but NO. I believe if someone wants to say something like "I agree" they need to give reasons or an explanation as to why they do. If someone says "good suggestion", they at least need to support why they like the suggestion. This could be something so little like "I really like your suggestion! I think the *handshake smiley* would be very useful with conversations on xat."

What else is annoying is when people get likes just for saying "Good suggestion". Shouldn't the person who created the thread be credited for that suggestion?

According to this, an internet forum is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. What kind of conversation is constantly saying "Good idea", "I like", "Cool suggestion" with no reasoning or thought?? 

If you guys are going to create a rule that doesn't allow users to say "Nice ID" in the ID sales section, why can't there be a rule that doesn't allow users to say "Nice idea" in the Suggestions section?

Overall, I think a forum thread in General Discussion/suggestions should look like this: 

1. The quality of the initial discussion/suggestion the user created. 

2.  The quality of the response posts. Some users will make thoughtful and informative posts to the discussion/suggestion, and some will give minimal responses. However, you should provide feedback to users too. If a user posts a high-quality discussion/suggestion, you should tell them with reasons why. And, if a users posts a low quality discussion/suggestion, you should tell them with reasons to support why.

3. The depth of the discussion/suggestion thread.

I think a low quality post does not contribute anything or substantial to the discussion/suggestion with little detail. Examples of low quality responses are things like: any response which is off topic, is poorly thought-out, confusing / any post which is disrespectful of another user etc. Whereas, a high quality post is something that adds something positive or substantial to the suggestion/discussion with reasons why. If a user constantly posts low quality posts that don't contribute anything really, are they really that useful to stay on a thread?

Btw your thread is really funny. Good job.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Well lemona pretty much covered all the points

/thread

On a serious note, it's not JUST new people who want advanced members who post "good suggestion" ect. It's also some contributors who do the same exact thing. If anything, the contributors should set examples of how someone should reply to a thread, if a contributor posts "nice suggestion sis" or "good job bro me like suggest", then a new forum user would think this is okay. The contributors replies should be or at least similar to lemonas reply above or at least similar to it. And the way I see it, that's RARELY the case. 

Before making this thread, you should've wondered what can you do to prevent this, maybe there are other influences to this. Maybe look at the contributors posts and see if they do the same, and then maybe talk to them about it. The fact that new members do this shouldn't bother you, but the fact that contributors do this same exact thing should bother you. 

If contributors keep on saying "good suggestion bro", then don't expect other people not to do the same. 

I'm not going to post examples because that is rude, if you don't trust me when I say contributors say the same exact thing, then look for it yourself. Agree or disagree with me on this, but facts are facts. 

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

I love how you changed directions here and left us in suspense until the end with encouraging of spam and pointless posts.

I agree with Lemonas and Tinks posts. The only thing I can add is that this is WHY I liked the dislike button. :(  I could dislike those pointless posts.

• Advanced Members
8 minutes ago, Elie said:

I complain about Contributors doing it just as much as Members do. Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

If the contributors aren't listening and they're not changing their behavior then that's an internal issue. You can only do so much to prevent new users from posting things like "good suggest bro", but you can get contributors to stop doing this since it is a small community, and if they refuse..... then there should be punishments or at least warnings. IDK what gets done because I don't see the threads, but from what you said, it seems like the contributors are refusing to change and that's disappointing. 

• Advanced Members

I say it all the time.  Leaders are born and not made.  

I often think that these "groups" should not be based on who you know or 

how well you are known on an official chat.  

With this authority is not always responsibility for ones own actions like making pointless thread counts or being inspiration or role models for others.

There also is always a side you don't see.  People need to start looking outside the box more and judge others less.  

I realize the issues can not be solved overnight.  I do feel that some should have more accountability though.

@Steven  I don't feel a thread should HAVE to be made to tell contributors, forum mods, wiki editors, volunteers, smiley makers, official chat owners, or anyone in any type of position ,

how they should behave.  

• Advanced Members
11 minutes ago, Steven said:

There seems to be some anger about this whole "contributor" thing (not just about this issue). No threads have been made telling contributors to stop doing this. I agree it's annoying but the contributors are normal users, some of whom do not speak perfect English, so expecting all of their posts to be "like Lemona's" (which was essentially a novel) is quite unrealistic. This is not an issue of contributors posting certain things, it is an issue of forum users in general spamming the forum with unnecessary posts which could all be replaced by properly using the Like button.

Ultimately I do agree that a rule should be in place to prevent posts of this nature. They take up space and make it harder to find posts with actual substance.

IDK about you but I think that the contributors should set an example when it comes to forum replies. I see contributors as the best of the best of the forum and they represent the forum. They set the example as to how to reply on topics, when new users see a contributor reply "nice suggestion" then they will think that is okay. If the contributors do this, why can't the rest of the users? 

Writing thought out replies is not unrealistic, look at crows replies, look at lemonas replies, look at sydneys replies look at stahs replies. It's SAD that advanced members have more thought out replies than contributors. 

Edit: IDK if a thread has been made about this topic, but based off what Elie said to reply to my comment, I assumed there was. If it wasn't, then i definitely feel like there should be discussion about this. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
10 minutes ago, Christina said:

I don't feel a thread should HAVE to be made to tell contributors, forum mods, wiki editors, volunteers, smiley makers, official chat owners, or anyone in any type of position ,

how they should behave.  

I absolutely agree with you, however this is hardly a matter of "behaviour" in that way. When people post those messages, their intentions are good, and there are no rules in place preventing these types of messages as it currently stands. If there were, obviously that would be different, but there aren't. So technically speaking, nothing the contributors have done is wrong or bad behaviour.

3 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Writing thought out replies is not unrealistic, look at crows replies, look at lemonas replies, look at sydneys replies look at stahs replies. It's SAD that advanced members have more thought out replies than contributors. 

Once again, contributors are normal users, and not all are avid forum users like Lemona or Sydney or Stah. Do Lemona, Sydney, and Stah write novels on threads suggesting a smiley power? No, obviously not. So when the only public threads some of these people reply to are suggestion threads, of course they aren't going to have as much to say, because there simply ISN'T much to say. Replies by avid forum users in debate threads really shouldn't be compared to replies by occasional forum users on suggestion threads.

As I've said before, I do hope a rule is added against these messages, but as it currently stands, no contributors have violated the rules by making these posts.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, Steven said:

I absolutely agree with you, however this is hardly a matter of "behaviour" in that way. When people post those messages, their intentions are good, and there are no rules in place preventing these types of messages as it currently stands. If there were, obviously that would be different, but there aren't. So technically speaking, nothing the contributors have done is wrong or bad behaviour.

Once again, contributors are normal users, and not all are avid forum users like Lemona or Sydney or Stah. Do Lemona, Sydney, and Stah write novels on threads suggesting a smiley power? No, obviously not. So when the only public threads some of these people reply to are suggestion threads, of course they aren't going to have as much to say, because there simply ISN'T much to say. Replies by avid forum users in debate threads really shouldn't be compared to replies by occasional forum users on suggestion threads.

As I've said before, I do hope a rule is added against these messages, but as it currently stands, no contributors have violated the rules by making these posts.

I disagree, contributors are not normal users. If they are normal users, then why do they have rank, why do they have their own forum to have private threads, why do they have says and votes? Clearly they are not normal users, they have responsibility. There shouldn't be a rule saying that contributors are supposed to have decent replies to threads, it should be OBVIOUS. Making this a rule is frankly pathetic. 

"Contributors are encouraged to give their true opinions without worrying how other contributors may perceive these opinions. However, contributors should aim to represent or present the sentiments of all factions of the greater xat community." This wiki itself says that the contributors are supposed to represent the best of the best, they are supposed to be on their best behavior. Their replies shouldn't be useless or add nothing to the conversation. 

If they have NOTHING to say, then use the like button, they don't HAVE to say anything. 

You're right, NOBODY broke any rule by posting good suggestion ect. But it's not about breaking rules, it's even necessary posting things like that. 

• Award 3

• Volunteers
44 minutes ago, Steven said:

I agree it's annoying but the contributors are normal users, some of whom do not speak perfect English, so expecting all of their posts to be "like Lemona's" (which was essentially a novel) is quite unrealistic. 

:( Wow you make it sound like writing novels is bad. I do agree with you that a rule should be in place... Especially after this 'No posting 'Nice id' in ID Sales'. 

34 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Have to add that @Sydney is not quite an advanced member yet! Hehehehhe :$ . However, I somewhat agree with you. If there's any normal users who represent the voices of xat users, it's probably the contributors. As a strong student voice advocate, users do need to have their voices heard and I think that's an integral part to xat. They need user feedback and they need those ideas and opinions. Seeing people post 'nice idea' etc is showing me that I should probably be questioning if there's really strong user voice/feedback/opinion within the contributors forum and if they are really representing the whole community. 

25 minutes ago, Steven said:

Replies by avid forum users in debate threads really shouldn't be compared to replies by occasional forum users on suggestion threads.

You make a very good point here. I think the rules would have to be very detailed.

• Advanced Members
13 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

If they have NOTHING to say, then use the like button, they don't HAVE to say anything. 

My point is, this should be true for EVERY user, not just contributors.

I think we need to calm down and recognize that this is a very minor issue. I don't think anything discussed here is even significant enough to be deemed "pathetic." I don't know how it became a "contributor" vs "advanced member" issue, but as I keep saying, it really shouldn't be, and I certainly don't think anyone needs to get worked up about it.

I'm not going to reply any further unless a new point is addressed, I've made my view clear. :p 

• Award 1

• Members
9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Please remember to stay on topic and discuss the actual issue. The satire is obviously strong, but there is a real issue to discuss.

Can we save discussing contributors for another thread?

We're talking about the issue itself, which applies to everyone, not just contributors.

Suggestion Section

Users can post positive feedbacks such as "good suggestion" only if done appropriately.

What are the good parts of the suggestion?

What can be improved upon?

Do you think anything should be adjusted slightly?

Do you think the suggestion will benefit xat?

etc.

As much as I disagree with Elie most of the time, this time he's right. It's been said already but that's why we have a like button, use it to agree with another user and don't post unless you have something meaningful or useful to add.

Looking at the Suggestion forum, it becomes quite apparent that people abuse the ability to type "good suggestion" to promote their friends' ideas/suggestions. Suggestion section is for discussing and criticizing suggestions, "good suggestion" alone isn't constructive nor does it contribute to the suggestion itself.

Contests and Events

Might as well bring up another subject similar to this, where users instead of posting "good suggestions", they post "good luck or "nice contest".

I think it's fine to post good luck in some threads where appropriate, due to the nature of of the forum section.

The main difference between Suggestion and Contests and Events section, is that one is for discussing and critiquing ideas, whereas the other is for informing users for certain events (if a thread is used to inform users of events, all the information will be stored on the main post, which can be seen regardless of spam).

But obviously, this doesn't apply to all threads, especially not threads such as "background design", "pcback", "suggest a name" where it requires input from users to reply to the thread, which can and should do without pointless replies such as "good luck", which does spam the thread and makes it difficult to find entries.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
23 minutes ago, Jedi said:

TinkerDoodle turned the thread into "contribs are doing bad things".

No. Elie made It seem that only advanced members did this and it's clearly not the case and i corrected him. You would expect some new forum users to do this but not people with an official rank. 

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
17 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Elie made It seem that only advanced members did this and it's clearly not the case and i corrected him. 

Wasn't meant to target Advanced Members specifically. It was meant to target the useless posts in general. Rank doesn't matter as people in each one do it (minus volunteers and forum moderators).