Why can't you delete posts?

Flake

• Advanced Members
Just now, Stah said:

No idea, but we should be able to delete our own replies (i.e. old forum functionality).

I believe we should be able to delete our own posts as well, sometimes I'd like to delete something that doesn't quite apply

• Contributors

I am not sure if it was intentionally put that way, but admins can change the group permissions for members to delete their posts.

I will look into it and see if admins are willingly to change it.

Thanks for bringing that to attention.

• Advanced Members
8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why do you think it should stay this way? I'm just curious.

Because lets say you're in a conversation and user x is just deleting his post and someone else can't comprehend what is going on.

And, why would you make a thread/post and then delete it?

If there is a case, like you made a thread which is already there and you just noticed that, then you could request an delete with reason. But otherwise i wouldnt allow this function for users, (if i would be the owner of the forum).

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, LaFleur said:

Because lets say you're in a conversation and user x is just deleting his post and someone else can't comprehend what is going on.

And, why would you make a thread/post and then delete it?

If there is a case, like you made a thread which is already there and you just noticed that, then you could request an delete with reason. But otherwise i wouldnt allow this function for users, (if i would be the owner of the forum).

Because requesting a delete for a post, which usually a user would want to do immediately, is sufficient? I think not.

There have been numerous cases where I have accidentally double posted when I haven't meant to and couldn't do anything about it. There are numerous uses for deleting a post, and the reason which you stated is nothing in comparison. When does that situation even arise? Sorry, but there's no reason why there shouldn't be the function to delete posts immediately.

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Users can now hide their own content. If you feel a person is likely to hide their post (thus making the conversation confusing), you might want to just consider quoting them.

Thanks, Brandon! I also really agree with the new function as it is quite useful.

• Award 1