Throwaway accounts

Steven

• Advanced Members

What are your opinion on these new throwaway accounts? Personally they really annoy me, much more than if the person would just use their normal account. I feel like part of voicing an opinion is being willing to face those who disagree, and if you aren't willing to do that, you shouldn't be sharing your opinion. :(  After all, sharing opinions is one of the main purposes of forums, is it not?

What do you guys think about this? Do you think the recent forum debates/arguments have justified the use of these accounts?

ps. I fully expect someone to reply to this on a throwaway account thinking they are funny. (d) 

• Award 5

• Members

Eh, I feel like they don't want to share their opinion on their real account because they think that people might dislike them because of their opinion and stuff like that. If you aren't willing to do it on your real account, simply do not post as said above. Making a new throwaway account would just be a waste of time.

I think they should start removing throwaway accounts but oh well...

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Cowardly.

In my opinion, you should only be allowed to have one forum account. These "throwaway accounts" don't even have a reason to hide, for some reason they live in their own world under the impression the small amount of people that use the forum actually care about their opinion enough to be scared to post on their real account. Seems like they think they're being extremely controversial that they need to hide (pro tip: they're not).

5 hours ago, Dad said:

I honestly think posting 'good luck' in SOME threads in the Contests & Events section is fine

But for the Suggestions section, where people post "good idea" or "good suggestion" is not.

Woah dude!!! Take it down a notch!!

• Award 4

• Volunteers

Completely agree with you! It is really annoying and I don't like the whole point that they hide themselves. I genuinely don't understand the point of having 2 forum accounts. Harassing and judging people's opinions on here isn't really allowed so I don't understand why they just can't say it on a main account.

It's also sorta creepy and terrifying when you have throwaway accounts that somewhat troll you... (d) @Mangoa

• Advanced Members
20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What if they're not using a throwaway account to post an unpopular opinion? What if it's someone who quit and wants to occasionally post their opinion without using their real account they quit on?

I personally think that's fine, but that isn't how they've been used lately (as "Dad" has admitted). Although I still find it pointless.

• Advanced Members
52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What if they're not using a throwaway account to post an unpopular opinion? What if it's someone who quit and wants to occasionally post their opinion without using their real account they quit on?

Why would you want to do that? You can quit going on chats and still feel free to use the forums. However, if you "quit xat" and still continue to use the forums on a secret account, you're only kidding yourself.

One account per person please.

• Volunteers

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde (sman)

I completely agree it's cowardly - that this shadowy figure walks among us, and we don't know who it is. However, for the sake of disagreeing with people, I will say that I don't mind it. If a throwaway account gives a person the confidence to say something... so be it. I'd rather that than the person not post anything at all. They could be saying what we're thinking - or if not, it still invites more discussion to the conversation anyway. :d

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I agree with you @Crow

I don't mind people having second accounts but NOT to use it to just mess with the thread  or messing with other people.

inb4 ''SIS and BRO'' (sman)

• Members

I can't even be bothered with this, there is absolutely no problem with voicing an opinion on a throwaway account. If people used throwaway accounts to cause trouble and to evade bans, sure.

What difference does it make? It would be cowardly if I made an arrogant post without any reasoning solely for the purpose of causing drama, but that's not the case.

19 hours ago, Steven said:

I feel like part of voicing an opinion is being willing to face those who disagree, and if you aren't willing to do that, you shouldn't be sharing your opinion. :(  After all, sharing opinions is one of the main purposes of forums, is it not?

You're implying that I don't face those who disagree with me, I do; just on this throwaway account.

If you aren't willing to share your actual account, you shouldn't share your opinion?? Why does having an opinion also have to be attached to an identity, does that lessen the opinion anymore?? No.

19 hours ago, Felipe said:

If you aren't willing to do it on your real account, simply do not post as said above.

I guess if the opinion doesn't come from someone with an identity , it doesn't mean as much.

18 hours ago, Lemona said:

Completely agree with you! It is really annoying and I don't like the whole point that they hide themselves. I genuinely don't understand the point of having 2 forum accounts. Harassing and judging people's opinions on here isn't really allowed so I don't understand why they just can't say it on a main account.@Mangoa

You lack understanding.. consider the possible reasons why one might choose to hide themselves, try not to post unless you consider it thoroughly. I don't know who you are referring to when you say harassing, but that isn't @Mom or @Dad, if you make throwaway accounts just to troll, harass or cause drama with other users, then by all means, ban them.

19 hours ago, Stah said:

Cowardly.

In my opinion, you should only be allowed to have one forum account. These "throwaway accounts" don't even have a reason to hide, for some reason they live in their own world under the impression the small amount of people that use the forum actually care about their opinion enough to be scared to post on their real account. Seems like they think they're being extremely controversial that they need to hide (pro tip: they're not).

Woah dude!!! Take it down a notch!!

There are reasons people use throwaway accounts, just because the reasons to you seem pointless, worthless or down-right stupid, does not mean it is to them. But should you be this upset about it, to the extent of calling someone cowardly? No.

Are you going to deny the fact that @Mom @Dad are facilitating healthy discussion?

@Crow said it well, no idea why everyone is getting mad triggered over this.

There's literally no point tagging me because I check the forums quite often, I've been watching but just chose not to comment, because this is dumb. And with that, I'm done with this thread.

One last edit, I wont be replying to this thread anymore, but if you want to message me about anything, I will reply, just no promises how long.

/throwaway account

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

Throwaways are about as credible as toons, do we need to have a discussion about people grudge against them and anything they say too?

54 minutes ago, Uncle said:

I can't even be bothered with this, there is absolutely no problem with voicing an opinion on a throwaway account. If people used throwaway accounts to cause trouble and to evade bans, sure.

What difference does it make? It would be cowardly if I made an arrogant post without any reasoning solely for the purpose of causing drama, but that's not the case.

Thank you for writing such a detailed reply, Mr. I can't be bothered with this.

The first "/throwaway account" was Mom, and it was used to post an unpopular opinion on the "New Lost Access Policy" thread, this reply was purely made to be controversial for the sake of being controversial, and that user is obviously cowardly for not using their real account to post it and this can be seen in their post content. So yes, these accounts are made so people can be controversial (although not as controversial as they think they're being most of the time) without any backlash.

Let's all make accounts and be controversialists.

You're implying that I don't face those who disagree with me, I do; just on this throwaway account.

If you aren't willing to share your actual account, you shouldn't share your opinion?? Why does having an opinion also have to be attached to an identity, does that lessen the opinion anymore?? No.

I guess if the opinion doesn't come from someone with an identity , it doesn't mean as much.

Sure, but when you're done borderline creating drama, you can just log out and go "back into the real world" per se and use your real account.

Your opinion does mean less, because it's coming from no-one. Who are you? Mom was posting things about Lost Access tickets, how can we believe anything they type when they are no-one?  Are they making it up? Do they actually believe what they are typing, or are they being controversial for no reason?

For talk's sake, a new topic is posted about opinions on watermelons. Everyone posts that they like watermelons, including the user "Bob". Bob also has an account called "Aunt". Aunt posts that watermelons are bad for the environment and you don't know if they're being grown organically or if child labourers are the ones selling these watermelons. This is a problem because this is not a real opinion and even conflicts with the opinion of his "real account", this is a post written from a random account there to start arguments about watermelons, which is completely pointless and annoying.

You lack understanding.. consider the possible reasons why one might choose to hide themselves, try not to post unless you consider it thoroughly. I don't know who you are referring to when you say harassing, but that isn't @Mom or @Dad, if you make throwaway accounts just to troll, harass or cause drama with other users, then by all means, ban them.

If we lack understanding, please tell us what we are missing. I can't see any other reason than just to avoid blacklash (cowardice), and to be plain annoying.

There are reasons people use throwaway accounts, just because the reasons to you seem pointless, worthless or down-right stupid, does not mean it is to them. But should you be this upset about it, to the extent of calling someone cowardly? No.

Works both ways. Just because they see a point to it, doesn't mean we do. Are you trying to appeal to emotion or something? Oh I'm very sorry for calling your account pointless, I now see that you do it for a reason, I am very sorry. 

No-one is upset, if anything you are for going on a big rant because "you can't be bothered"

Are you going to deny the fact that @Mom @Dad are facilitating healthy discussion?

@Crow said it well, no idea why everyone is getting mad triggered over this

Yes, yes I am. Being controversial for absolutely no reason is not healthy at all. For example, again, on the "New Lost Access Policy" thread, there was absolutely no reason to make it controversial with some pretty made up and invalid points.

Crow's quote only applies to real life, the internet and your xat identity is a mask. You're already behind your computer screen, say it and stop pretending that you're posting on a "throwaway" for reasons other than to create controversy. Fake and needlessly controversial opinions, in the end, are not worth replying to.

/not a throwaway account 

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, Stah said:

Crow's quote only applies to real life, the internet and your xat identity is a mask. You're already behind your computer screen, say it and stop pretending that you're posting on a "throwaway" for reasons other than to create controversy. Fake and needlessly controversial opinions, in the end, are not worth replying to.

/not a throwaway account 

I just want you to know that I am not actually behind a computer screen. I am inside my computer typing responses in binary. My computer is ME. lol

• Advanced Members

1 hour ago, Uncle said:

No, you absolutely do not. Everyone else who posts an opinion deals with backlash and people who disagree, except for you people who make "throwaway accounts," and don't have to deal with ANY backlash or opposing views, because nobody knows who they're even talking to.

1 hour ago, Uncle said:

Yes, it absolutely does. If you are not willing to be held accountable for your own opinions and views, you have absolutely zero credibility whatsoever and your opinion will not be taken very seriously by very many people at all.

Ultimately I stand by my earlier statement that if you aren't willing to take on any possible backlash, you shouldn't be posting your opinion, because part of sharing your views is being ready to defend them to those who disagree.

• Award 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members
On 15/07/2016 at 2:02 AM, Felipe said:

Eh, I feel like they don't want to share their opinion on their real account because they think that people might dislike them because of their opinion and stuff like that. If you aren't willing to do it on your real account, simply do not post as said above. Making a new throwaway account would just be a waste of time.

I think they should start removing throwaway accounts but oh well...

Great answer.