Reaction system on chats

Crow

• Volunteers

As I was mentioning on Feedback chat, reactions list should be shown below the message (instead of the name) like you can see on a lot of platforms. In name, we cannot use much of space, so the space used should be kept for delete/quote and react.

But i agree with how you react to message (emoji in name). Instead on clicking the emoji, it could be like the forum (hover) and you select your emoji.

• Like 1

• Advanced Members

The idea sounds very good, I like it and I would also want to see it being implemented on xat.

However, xat should be careful with the reactions they would add. Reactions such as "(ill)" can be taken very bad and some users may be discouraged or feel they're being bullied in some way. I agree that the abuse of these reactions can be made a punishable offense, but this would mostly be done on official chats, not on other chats such as social chats(non official chats). So users on other chats may feel really bad and discouraged from posting or even entering the website, which worries me. I would also like to believe that a user getting too many negative reactions would make them change their behavior for the better, but the truth is that there are a lot of users who would use these reactions just to bother other users, not necessarily because they want other users to change their behavior. And even if a user who gets too many negative reactions changes their behavior for the better, there would still be people who would keep using reactions to bother that user.

If a reactions system is implemented on xat, I think only "cute" reactions should be added. For example; "thumbs up" / "heart"(I guess both reactions would be used if you like someone else's message), "thanks", "surprised". Other reactions such as "sad" and/or a smilie crying could also be added and I don't think that would bother anyone.

• Like 2

• Volunteers
55 minutes ago, SLOom said:

As I was mentioning on Feedback chat, reactions list should be shown below the message (instead of the name) like you can see on a lot of platforms. In name, we cannot use much of space, so the space used should be kept for delete/quote and react.

Thank you for this! I forgot that users can have really long names, which may not leave much room for the homepage, quote and reactions. As a worst case scenario (if the reactions can't be added below posts), the reactions would still work for users with reasonable-length names.

26 minutes ago, Solange said:

However, xat should be careful with the reactions they would add. [...]

I take your point, and I've now removed the (ill) smiley from the suggestion. It had potential to be misused more than the others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members

I like this idea! Would also be nice if it could become a radio feature for people to rate music up and down instead of using the bot and having to type it into a chatbox. Would also be nice to customize the different rating signs/buttons using custom images or emotes.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • Stif locked this topic