New Markdown Feature

Junior

• Advanced Members

Absolutely wonderful! You guys go above and beyond on what you do, we all greatly appreciate it!

I noticed that bold & underline doesn't work with the Arabic language.

The extra-bold that applies to English (IMO) is not necessary for Arabic though because its not commonly used, it would look weird applied to Arabic.

Note: The aforementioned features works when you apply it in the text box but it doesn't show when its sent. (Arabic)

Edited by Jasmine

• Advanced Members

Quote Icon: You can also quote messages sent by users by clicking the quote icon next to their name. If you click a quoted message, it will scroll into the message's view.

n8rzIzg.png
Eg
TEXT: Testing Quate Icon
Quote Icon: iBau - Testing Quate Icon
Response: Yes, it´s a test
I think it can be useful when there are many people chatting, and many write at the same time, such as when you do a contest, or even a discussion between friends, it is good to show the names of the people you mentioned.

In my opinion.

I like this, it's wonderful.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I'm literally blown away by these new developments.

I find that a really important and up-to-date work has been done.

The introduction of all these little things is proof that our site is ready to be innovative and easy to use.

All the new features added are synonymous with change and this will ensure that all users are inclined to use the platform in Html5.

I'm sure that as the months go by there will be new features and that "THE BEST IS YET TO COME".

Now we can see with our own eyes the true potential of HTML5, where the user experience is enhanced by the possibility of interacting directly on the chat thanks to Markdown.

The future of xat is to be able to use useful and comfortable tools, and Markdown certainly is.

Implementation promoted with flying colors, keep it up guys.

• Bot Service Providers

Nice feature,

It's cool to use [link title](url) when having long links.

I only feel that bold font doesn't stand out much from normal, maybe can be easily fixed adding black stroke or glow?

• Award 1

• Volunteers
23 hours ago, Jasmine said:

I noticed that bold & underline doesn't work with the Arabic language.

Will underline be added?

It struck me that ctrl + u is more suited to underline than strikethrough.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

I think this update is great and will help many users to be able to highlight many important things. Simply great, I am very happy to have this team making these great updates.

• Volunteers
44 minutes ago, Crow said:

Will underline be added?

It struck me that ctrl + u is more suited to underline than strikethrough.

From a web standpoint, underline usually means linked text (which is already added). It might confuse people if there was both. Ctrl + s might make more sense for strikethrough, though.

With that said, I'm slightly against adding hyperlinked text because I think it gives chat staff more work having to review each linked word/phrase and it could be abused for the wrong reasons (ie. for phishing). It seems like more work to hyperlink a word than to simply type or paste a link anyway.

• Award 1
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, Lemona said:

From a web standpoint, underline usually means linked text (which is already added). It might confuse people if there was both. Ctrl + s might make more sense for strikethrough, though.

With that said, I'm slightly against adding hyperlinked text because I think it gives chat staff more work having to review each linked word/phrase and it could be abused for the wrong reasons (ie. for phishing). It seems like more work to hyperlink a word than to simply type or paste a link anyway.

I 100% agree with her concern regarding hyperlinked text.

I suggest that it gets controlled from the group settings, or adding an option to disable/enable it in gcontrol if its possible, so moderators specially in official chats don't have to go through the hassle of checking every hyperlinked message.

• Advanced Members
On 7/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jasmine said:

I 100% agree with her concern regarding hyperlinked text.

I suggest that it gets controlled from the group settings, or adding an option to disable/enable it in gcontrol if its possible, so moderators specially in official chats don't have to go through the hassle of checking every hyperlinked message.

you can’t send hyperlinks if you aren’t member. It works just like regular links. 

edit: only allowed links (like xat.wiki) are allowed for guests on hyperlinks, other ones are blocked.

Edited by Leandro
nani?!
  • Award 1
  • Like 3

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Crow said:

Will underline be added?

Underline was not considered since it might be confusing with xat default and link power links.

24 minutes ago, Lemona said:

Ctrl + s might make more sense for strikethrough, though.

Ctrl + s is already taken in browsers, this is why ctrl + u  was used instead.

24 minutes ago, Lemona said:

If you hover over a hypertext it will show the link, so I don't think moving your mouse over the link will be much of a hard work to do.

17 minutes ago, Jasmine said:

Well, adding a setting to disable markdown (in your side only) might be a posible solution, if you insist.

Thank you for all the feedback! We're happy to see you all enjoyed this feature :).

• Done! 1
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, Junior said:

Underline was not considered since it might be confusing with xat default and link power links.

Ctrl + s is already taken in browsers, this is why ctrl + u  was used instead.

If you hover over a hypertext it will show the link, so I don't think moving your mouse over the link will be much of a hard work to do.

Well, adding a setting to disable markdown (in your side only) might be a posible solution, if you insist.

Thank you for all the feedback! We're happy to see you all enjoyed this feature :).

If only members can use hypertext then I personally see no reason for having an option to disable it.

Again... Well done!
 well done good job GIF

Edited by Jasmine

• Advanced Members

The markdown should be applied in the message box also, so that you can see what you're sending in visual terms. This should probably only apply to bold, italics and strikethrough as the way the others are implemented at the moment would be confusing.

This is also useful when combining them (i.e. italic and bold) or seeing mistakes as you can see the formatting before you send it.

i.e.

2067534140_Screenshot2020-07-11at14_52_18.thumb.png.b93096ee102d9cc399c4a4601b8f5538.png

Edited by Daniel
  • Award 2
  • Like 3