xat 1.64 public beta out! See changes ×

suggested chats

Nezhit

• Bot Service Providers

Hello,

I want to suggest something that I think it's a good idea since it's used a lot by big companies such as Google, Facebook, YouTube and Ad services.

Well, I don't remember the correct name, although I have already studied about this, but I will call it "algorithm of interests".

My suggestion is simple (at least in theory), xat would have to keep the chats that users have joined for a certain time, for example 1 month. Based on these user activities, in the homepage we would have a new tab called "suggested chats". (maybe by default?)

A lot of information can be used to create this feature such as chat names, languages, tags, descriptions etc, or even categories (if xat wanna make "chat category" where it would have Animes, Radios, Lobby etc...).

It doesn't break GPDR, since any such of information stored by a company can be used for improvements to what the user wants to see.

(Ignore errors I'm on mobile)

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

I like this idea, it will eventually make xat more customized for users.

Also its a good way to find your favorite type of chats based on interest (suggested), in the future we could have new/custom categories as you mentioned. 

100% With it.

• Award 1

• Bot Service Providers
32 minutes ago, Jasminex said:

Also its a good way to find your favorite type of chats based on interest (suggested), in the future we could have new/custom categories as you mentioned. 

Yes, as Cupim said in xat5,

It would be good having this because xat can make something like "listing chats by category" or even searching then (on new search page!!!)

It's something that I also agree.

• Like 1

• Volunteers

It's called recommender system. It would be cool but it's not that easy to do, it usually involves dimension reduction, matrix factorization, markov process...

And data of course, which are most likely not available.

• Done! 1

• Bot Service Providers
24 minutes ago, Sydno said:

It's called recommender system. It would be cool but it's not that easy to do, it usually involves dimension reduction, matrix factorization, markov process...

And data of course, which are most likely not available.

Well, yes.

But based on chat categories this can be easily fixed,

Or it can be also based on chat name similarity, PHP and MySQL have full support for it and xat is using them so it's not too hard, btw I think atleast similarity is enough, per example I join a chat called Anime a lot during the day, after some time, xat will start recommend me chats like AnimeAndSongs or Animations etc...

It also should work based on chat tags (since it were never used correctly, xat did a cool tags system but blocked crawlers/bots to index chats in search engines, nosense tbh).

Finally I say, based on language + similarities + tags + chat categories, it'd give users cool suggestions about new chats. My suggestion behind all, since I'm almost sure xat won't consider adding chat categories, is that it can be stored in LocalStorage all chats that were visited by the user, xat doesn't need to store this data in their servers, basically when loading the "suggested chats" page it would load all data in LocalStorage, how many times you joined etc, based in this info you can easily know what are the best chats for you.

• Advanced Members

That's a good idea.  Today algorithms are increasingly used by very important companies in the market. The algorithm on social networks plays an important role as it decides which posts to show and to which people. In fact, they are used with a very specific purpose: to filter the interests of users through simple keywords. So xat through simple algorithms generated by user searches could filter and show what interests us in a simple and personalized way.

• Like 1