xat 1.64 public beta out! See changes ×

Edit Messages!

Jasmine

• Advanced Members

Hello,

Everyone in xat have made typos before, even 42 last time I remember he was the master of typos! :D

My suggestion is an edit feature where users can fix their errors/typos, this can be implemented as either a power or just a free for all feature.

Overview

• Users can edit their messages by clicking a small pen/pencil icon on the top right or left or or at the end of their message
  • When a message is edited it should show an icon or say [edited] with a timestamp
  • Optionally when someone click the [edited] icon it can show the previous unedited message.
  • The window between the successfully sent message and the ability to edit can be 60 seconds.

I also understand that there might be a concern specially in trade for example, people changing the price or attempting to edit the message to scam but I think the ability to show the unedited message should fix most of the issues and the 60 seconds is not enough for someone to scam.

Let me know your thoughts about this!

• Award 2
  • Like 2

• Advanced Members

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before, and I still think this is a great idea and something we definitely need on xat.

If this is implemented I also think there should be a limited period of time for users to edit their messages, and of course, all people should be able to see the history of an edited message.

• Advanced Members

You can use the correct one in HTML5 now:

descarga.png.ce3f6e967c9c408da731231a62fcc670.png

I also like the idea, but it is a delicate subject to allow modifying messages for many reasons. In case this receives a lot of support or becomes a reality, it should not be a power.

• Bot Service Providers

I do not agree with this.

I could see someone editing their past messages to a bunch of cuss words.
And because its way up moderators wont realize it unless they scroll up.

Sure bots could be coded to combat this, but imagine all the chats which don't have bots getting abused.

Instead maybe this should be a PC/PM only feature? Or maybe only for Moderators+

Edited by Actavus
ironic edit typo
  • Award 1
  • Like 2

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Actavus said:

I do not agree with this.

I could see someone editing their past messages to a bunch of cuss words.
And because its way up moderators wont realize it unless they scroll up.

Sure bots could be coded to combat this, but imagine all the chats which don't have bots getting abused.

Instead maybe this should be a PC/PM only feature? Or maybe only for Moderators+

True, that's a very valid concern,  it would be a nightmare for chats without bots.

I'm 100% for it to be implemented as a PC/PM only feature.

• Bot Service Providers

Well I love this suggestion and I would like see it being added, but...

1. Messages MUST BE showing "Edited".
2. When editing messages MUST BE listed on Events power.

In this way, it wont cause a lot of chaos.

Edited by xLaming
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, xLaming said:

Well I love this suggestion and I would like see it being added, but...

1. Messages MUST BE showing "Edited".
2. When editing messages MUST BE listed on Events power.

In this way, it wont cause a lot of chaos.

Yeah I already mentioned the "Edited" part, also regarding the old previous message, I can't think of a good looking / efficient way to show old messages, probably using a pop-up or something like the one we see when we hover over someone's username.

• Bot Service Providers
Just now, Jasminex said:

Yeah I already mentioned the "Edited" part, also regarding the old previous message, I can't think of a good looking / efficient way to show old messages, probably using a pop-up or something like the one we see when we hover over someone's username.

Yes, I agree, but it also should be showing on Events, just in case... (xd) 

• Done! 1

• Advanced Members

I think including edited messages where general events of a chat appear such as demoting or promoting someone, kicking and banning people, among others, would look like a mess. If we want edited messages to appear in a specific page just how Events power works, then I'd say a separate page can be created for edited messages only.

• Award 1

• Bot Service Providers
3 minutes ago, Solange said:

I think including edited messages where general events of a chat appear such as demoting or promoting someone, kicking and banning people, among others, would look like a mess. If we want edited messages to appear in a specific page just how Events power works, then I'd say a separate page can be created for edited messages only.

Agreed, well on new HTML5 chats page it would be cool having a new tab sided to "events"

• Advanced Members

I support this idea. At least as a PC/PM feature. Maybe even as a general feature also available on main chat. xat needs change in order to attract new users. As harsh as it might sound for some.

• Moderators

I also agree that this would be very welcome.

Maybe the edits could be available just for 2 minutes after the message is sent, maybe less for trading chats, where there is a lot of message traffic.

Fortunately, this is a well-known suggestion. This can be added in the future.

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, xLaming said:

After this I think it would be a Gcontrol option, since not all main owners will want messages being edited on their chats

I dont agree with this. This shouldn't be an option on GControl, just an option as a regular setting.

Only allow users to edit their messages certains amount of time.

Allow them to edit their messages after certain time has passed (maybe 30 sec).

Also, a message should appear to the chat staff (maybe THIS could be an option on GControl) on a moderation tool, where they shall see who edited their messages, so they can scroll up and see if it's something inappropriate.

• Like 1

• Advanced Members

I like the idea and I also agree, but I have some concerns about it. My first concern is in regards to the trade chats as the possible modification of messages could create panic as a seller could first say a price and then immediately modify it. Not having a history of what was said before the trade could trigger reports and cause confusion. My other perplexity is that of moderation in chat. I'll explain the second point better. If a user is inappropriate and is kicked by the staff, and if they later change their message, they could contest the kick or the ban creating arguments and reports. So I think that in order to implement this system it is necessary to look first of all at the modification time of the message, secondly to see in chat the modified message and last but not least to have a history of the modified message. It remains however an unknown for private chats as they are different from the main chat but it is not impossible to organize.

• Volunteers

I'm against it. Chat is a instant messaging service. 

Why get rid of the fun of letting users do typos?

Why stop users from correcting their typos in the next messages?

It's xat chat.

No xat post

No xat mail

#NeverEditMessages

• Award 2
  • No 1
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members

Here we go, I am in the same page as @Cupim.   I mean, I like the suggestion but I prefer xat stays as is, is more fun when you see typos and then it gets corrected.  after you sent a text (in other social medias, I won't mention their names) you can't edit it. 

#NeverEditMessages

Nice Hash Tag lol 

• Bot Service Providers
1 hour ago, Cupim said:

I'm against it. Chat is a instant messaging service. 

Why get rid of the fun of letting users do typos?

Why stop users from correcting their typos in the next messages?

It's xat chat.

No xat post

No xat mail

#NeverEditMessages

Tell this to Skype or Discord users, which is a big part of xat population.

Btw, this can cause discomfort and embarrassing situations, people don't always want to take things for fun, per example typos.

About trading and help chats, its up to main owners to decide (with Gcontrol or free feature) if they want to enable this option in their chats. Available for all chats, ofc.

I personally don't see any problem in adding this system. I agree, and I fully support it.

Edited by xLaming
And look, its useful to adding info.
  • Like 1

• Volunteers
4 hours ago, xLaming said:

Tell this to Skype or Discord users, which is a big part of xat population.

xat is xat.

If your justification to add such feature is because it exists elsewhere... I don't think that's a sufficient reason.

Skype is a message app mainly made for video call conferences. It is a "business thing"... and Discord is meant for gamers. They're different to xat in many ways (all three have a different purpose and diversified target audiences).

Anyway, we shouldn't let xat be a copycat. We are authentic and original enough to think of our own ideas.

What's next? "Like a message" with the (Y) smiley?

Allowing users to edit messages stops the fun of being on a xat chat where the conversation is live, where the messages instantly appear on your screen.

The anxiety of following up dozens of messages being sent per minute on the main chat, the eyes rolling as you try to keep up with the subjects and the laughs for the typos.

If you want to have a boring edited chat, you can go to your Discord channels (that you already have by the way).

Let xat be xat.

• No 2

• Bot Service Providers
51 minutes ago, Cupim said:

xat is xat.

51 minutes ago, Cupim said:

I don't think that's a sufficient reason.

--------

I don't get the logic behind this.

Basically you said that we can't have this system because you don't like it? So based on that I can use my argument that it can be enabled or disabled by the main owner of the chat in question (it's their choose). It's a matter of freedom, not everyone likes the same color, or same background.

"Edit messages" system is a basic thing nowadays... always the words in favor of xat was modernization, but saying that adding a system isn't important because it already exists somewhere doesn't make sense.

And as I said, not everyone thinks the same, this may be good for some, but it can be annoying for others. (not allowing to edit messages) -- that's why it should be choose by main owners.

xat will still be xat, but with improvements. I still think that adding a system will not affect that.

• Award 1
  • Like 1

• Volunteers

What I mean is, xat is an instant messenger. Allowing people to edit messages changes that aspect.

For example, when on chat you start a dialogue and you finish it. It's different to our topic here, where other users will post it hours later (so editing has a purpose).

I'm in favor of modernization. Certainly 

But I'd like to see a real purpose behind edit feature.

e.g. 

42 does a typo

Why is 42 going to edit it

If his message will be gone in 2-3 mins later ? 

What I am trying to say is, what are you going to edit a text material that is going to disappear within hours?

I understand your "option" idea (for mains to decide). And I strongly agree to that if you ever convince xat to do this "crime" (I am just kidding!)

• Like 2

• Advanced Members

I don't agree with this being added. If it's a real typo people can just correct it in their next message as usual. Typos happen, and none of us are any stranger to them. I can easily see this feature being abused, especially in chats that move quickly and are often heavily moderated. It adds more strain than necessary on chat staff. 

• Volunteers

I see too many issues with this being implemented, especially on trading chats, or regarding cuss words.

You could mention apps where this is possible but there are also apps where it isn't (Messenger, Twitter DM, Snapchat) so Skype and Discord having it isn't much of an actual reason to do it.

If you think you may feel discomfort about making typos (this is just a typo come on) then read your message thrice before sending it?

Spoiler

From a guy who makes a lot of typos on chats

• Haha 2