Venting on HTML5 Development

Voymo

• Advanced Members

Hello xat community,

I just wanted to tell you that I'm quite fed up with the way development of the HTML5 chat box went so far. First of all, it seems to me as if the code that was written up to this point was just tested in two browsers - Chrome and Opera. While ignoring the fact that code must be written to work equally well on Firefox and Safari browsers. For example, on Firefox, the smileys and pawns shake annoyingly when the chat box is loaded. I've been some of a Webdesigner myself and I know that there are always ways keep the code clean, short and simple, that work for Firefox and Chrome equally well - meaning browser neutral. To find them, you need to research online more and test for BOTH Firefox and Chrome, ofc.

Taking that into consideration, parts of the HTML5 box's code imo need to be rewritten completely. The parts of the community who tell me on the chat box to "just use Chrome" - no, I won't. You please program your (censored) stuff to be cross compatible with Firefox, Safari and Chrome. If I bought a fridge and told the business my fridge doesn't work in my house, they won't tell me to put it in another house either, do they? They take back the fridge and they fix it to work, as part of the customer service.

In defense of Firefox - at least it has built-in tracking protection and doesn't talk back to Google on everything and all I do on the Browser. Furthermore, the browser REALLY got better SIGNIFICANTLY with Quantum release. A message to all Firefox users out there - our browser works fine everywhere else - don't let an incompetent community tell you to change your browser just for ONE social network that doesn't work properly in our browser.

Furthermore - why do you keep adding new features with older features added in the past not yet fixed and yet still not stable? For example,.you work on a search feature in friendlist, while NAMEGRAD in HTML5 is not working properly and is displayed upside down in comparison to Flash xat and for saving/updating your name you need to click "save" twice for some reason. "Away" is also not working properly etc. It's all known. Fix the old stuff first before adding new stuff, or the future result will be a buggy, confusing mess you won't be able to keep track of anymore, trust me.

Last but not least some information:

You only need to test your code on Firefox, Chrome and Safari. All other browsers today are forks based directly on either the source code of Firefox or Chrome, meaning they use the same rendering engines under the hood.

Two examples: if something works in Mozilla Firefox, it will work in Comodo IceDragon. If something works in Google Chrome, it will work in Opera. See the list of web browsers on Wikipedia.

Everyone else who might be frustrated with HTML5 development in ANY way - feel free to vent and let out your frustration here. This is what I created this topic for.

Greetings, Voymo

Edited by Voymo
  • Award 4

• Volunteers

We understand totally your disappointment regarding HTML5 development and we do our best to pleasure users.

For your concerns, we are not just testing on Chrome and Opera but Chrome, Opera and Safari (because we have Apple testers). You might also know that we started to track Firefox/Edge bugs even tho if we had already tracked some of them but it appears that they are extremely hard to fix (like shaking smilies). You will still need to wait before seeing things fixed on Firefox but we took the commitment to test as well on Firefox for the next features.

We know you prefer xat to fix bugs instead of adding new features but we prefer to do both (fix bugs / add new features) because it's a way to attract users by using HTML5 chat over Flash chat even if it's not going to have effect on all users.

43 minutes ago, Voymo said:

Fix the old stuff first before adding new stuff, or the future result will be a buggy, confusing mess you won't be able to keep track of anymore, trust me.

We have a board where we are tracking bugs, and we also count on users to report bugs on the bugs tracker. It's also a job for users to tell us bugs that we didn't find, so if you find a bugs, report it in the bug tracker !

Thank you for your input regarding HTML5 development.

Edited by SLOom
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members

No problem. Thanks for your relaxed and professional reply, even though I already "annoyed" on the chat box with parts of these topics bugging me. LOL. 

If you want, I can become your Firefox tester. I use the browser on a regular basis, as you might've guessed. Whenever you need something tested, you can notify me and I'll test it. But for daily usage, it's too incomplete for me to be happy with yet in general - be it on any browser there is out there. I spent alot of money on xat and would like to see all my powers work ...

We know you prefer xat to fix bugs instead of adding new features but we prefer to do both (fix bugs / add new features) because it's a way to attract users by using HTML5 chat over Flash chat even if it's not going to have effect on all users.

I think many users would prefer xat to become more stable and bugs to be fixed. I am sure it would attract them. There were many angry users who rioted about never fixed Flash bugs in the past aswell, such as smileys or avatars not loading properly, which could only be fixed by reloading the site once or sometimes multiple times.

Edited by Voymo

• Advanced Members
6 hours ago, Voymo said:

Hello xat community,

I just wanted to tell you that I'm quite fed up with the way development of the HTML5 chat box went so far. First of all, it seems to me as if the code that was written up to this point was just tested in two browsers - Chrome and Opera. While ignoring the fact that code must be written to work equally well on Firefox and Safari browsers. For example, on Firefox, the smileys and pawns shake annoyingly when the chat box is loaded. I've been some of a Webdesigner myself and I know that there are always ways keep the code clean, short and simple, that work for Firefox and Chrome equally well - meaning browser neutral. To find them, you need to research online more and test for BOTH Firefox and Chrome, ofc.

Taking that into consideration, parts of the HTML5 box's code imo need to be rewritten completely. The parts of the community who tell me on the chat box to "just use Chrome" - no, I won't. You please program your (censored) stuff to be cross compatible with Firefox, Safari and Chrome. If I bought a fridge and told the business my fridge doesn't work in my house, they won't tell me to put it in another house either, do they? They take back the fridge and they fix it to work, as part of the customer service.

In defense of Firefox - at least it has built-in tracking protection and doesn't talk back to Google on everything and all I do on the Browser. Furthermore, the browser REALLY got better SIGNIFICANTLY with Quantum release. A message to all Firefox users out there - our browser works fine everywhere else - don't let an incompetent community tell you to change your browser just for ONE social network that doesn't work properly in our browser.

Furthermore - why do you keep adding new features with older features added in the past not yet fixed and yet still not stable? For example,.you work on a search feature in friendlist, while NAMEGRAD in HTML5 is not working properly and is displayed upside down in comparison to Flash xat and for saving/updating your name you need to click "save" twice for some reason. "Away" is also not working properly etc. It's all known. Fix the old stuff first before adding new stuff, or the future result will be a buggy, confusing mess you won't be able to keep track of anymore, trust me.

Last but not least some information:

You only need to test your code on Firefox, Chrome and Safari. All other browsers today are forks based directly on either the source code of Firefox or Chrome, meaning they use the same rendering engines under the hood.

Two examples: if something works in Mozilla Firefox, it will work in Comodo IceDragon. If something works in Google Chrome, it will work in Opera. See the list of web browsers on Wikipedia.

Everyone else who might be frustrated with HTML5 development in ANY way - feel free to vent and let out your frustration here. This is what I created this topic for.

Greetings, Voymo

Yes, you are right about this, I agree with you. These are good ideas. I believe that the shortcomings on HTML5 will be corrected with these ideas. New studies should be done on HTML5. all codes need to be tailored to all browsers. A revision can be made on HTML5. I liked your subject very much, you brought up the shortcomings and deficiencies in the HTML5 version and showed what needs to be fixed. I thank you for sharing these great ideas with us Voymo

Edited by DUYGU
  • Like 1