xat 1.64 public beta out! See changes ×

New search - your ideas!?

LaFleur

• Advanced Members

As time goes by we are working on replacing each piece of the old website with the new web.

Soon we'll start working on the xat search feature that you can find here: https://xat.com/web_gear/chat/search.php

Prior that, we would like to know if you have any suggestions for the new search page which we may consider, especially for its functionality (i.e. should there be more options?).

We're looking forward to your suggestions! 💡

• Contributors

I agree with the comment above, the search for an specific chat name should be added. The search we got now pretty much just searches for an specific word mentioned like a name for example. But sometimes we can’t remember a chat name and we have to be typing it on the search bar trying to guess if it’s the right one. It would be easier if we could just type an specific chat name and suggest all the chats by the name we’re looking for. 

• Like 2

• Advanced Members
20 hours ago, xLaming said:

We would have  "Chat Search" (in a better than than GroupSearch.php that just show some chats)

20 hours ago, Kaay said:

I agree with the comment above, the search for an specific chat name should be added. The search we got now pretty much just searches for an specific word mentioned like a name for example. But sometimes we can’t remember a chat name and we have to be typing it on the search bar trying to guess if it’s the right one. It would be easier if we could just type an specific chat name and suggest all the chats by the name we’re looking for. 

So by default search for all groups and an additional option to search within a specific group only?

• Done! 1

• Contributors

Would it be possible to search for quoted phrases like this?  "search more than one word".

Also, it would be helpful to add an option to avoid finding smilies. Here's an example: right now if you search "hello", you'll be able to see messages using (hello) smiley. I'd like to focus when I search for something on text messages and avoid having results that include the hello smiley only basically because it shows "Hello" smiley as an included text.

• Like 2

• Bot Service Providers
24 minutes ago, Sergio said:

search more than one word

Actually you can do this e.g "hello AND word" https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Search

46 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

So by default search for all groups and an additional option to search within a specific group only?

Sure, would be cool, maybe a page called search divided by two tabs, one just for groups, and other as it is now.

Would help a lot people searching based on chat group tags, descriptions, chat name, etc.

• Done! 2
  • Like 1

• Contributors
52 minutes ago, xLaming said:

Actually you can do this e.g "hello AND word" https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Search

Sorry I was talking about searching phrases in between quoting commas instead of using the actual method. It would be easier and more intuitive for everyone imo. Thank you for the clarification anyway!

Edited by Sergio

• Bot Service Providers
13 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Sorry I was talking about searching phrases in between quoting commas instead of using the actual method. It would be easier and more intuitive for everyone imo. Thank you for the clarification anyway!

Phrases i think you can use hello+world+im+laming,

But yeah, anyway I think this should be improved in a easier way!

• Like 2

• Contributors
2 hours ago, LaFleur said:

Yeah that would be really helpful, like have two options according to what people are searching for at the moment. One if you wanna search for All the chats at once according to the language like you have it now and another for an specific chat name. 

• Advanced Members

It would be nice to add an advanced search and divide it by categories.

Screenshot_1.png.38a40cf9a3e92d93a14fea05f5e9875b.png

Search chat groups according to their tags. Usually people want to find the right chat for them.

Users, for example you want to search for Abrahan: Abraham and other similar names should be in the list.

And the traditional way to find words, it would also be good to include phrases like @Sergio suggested.

• Wiki Translators

to facilitate searching the search feature should be divided : 

- Chats : as @Abrahan mentioned " users want to find the right chat for them " 

- Teams / Members : ( volunteers, contributors, wiki editors ... ) you know for volunteers there is the forum STAFF list, it's easy to contact them, but if a user for exp wants to message a contributor, he is not going to look for him / her in all the forum lol, i think we should have the list of forum members / teams in the search feature.

- Topics: searching a topic through listing one or two words in the search feature to facilitate finding it

- Users ( why not ) : a name and other similar names in the list as we're seeing when we tag someone. 

I think these are the main sections that we should have. THANK YOU

Edited by Maxo

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Maxo said:

to facilitate searching the search feature should be divided : 

- Chats : as @Abrahan mentioned " users want to find the right chat for them " 

- Teams / Members : ( volunteers, contributors, wiki editors ... ) you know for volunteers there is the forum STAFF list, it's easy to contact them, but if a user for exp wants to message a contributor, he is not going to look for him / her in all the forum lol, i think we should have the list of forum members / teams in the search feature.

- Topics: searching a topic through listing one or two words in the search feature to facilitate finding it

- Users ( why not ) : a name and other similar names in the list as we're seeing when we tag someone. 

I think these are the main sections that we should have. THANK YOU

Including forum information in search engines will be very confusing for users.

They can easily find the members of each team in a list on the wiki, where will be his  username, xatspace or forum profile to recognize / contact them. So I don't think it is necessary to do this.

• Advanced Members
On 4/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, xLaming said:

We would have  "Chat Search" (in a better than than GroupSearch.php that just show some chats)

It's to my understanding that you mean if you search a specific chat it'll show the comments listed from said chat or?

• Wiki Translators
2 hours ago, Abrahan said:

Including forum information in search engines will be very confusing for users.

They can easily find the members of each team in a list on the wiki, where will be his  username, xatspace or forum profile to recognize / contact them. So I don't think it is necessary to do this.

I agree with you @Abrahan bro, but on the other hand, it will be easier here too. I don't think the new members here know all the wiki pages of the teams in the forum.

• Bot Service Providers

Well, I'll now clarify how it would be..

We would have two tabs,  one called "messages" other "chat groups",

• Messages. It's fine actually, but need some improvements. Per example, a better way to add "OR", "AND" and "+" (automatically, maybe?)
  • Chat groups. It would be something like this tool ( https://mundosmilies.com/tools/search/ ) but with a lot of improvements. Per example, the amount of chats, actually maximum is 9 or 10... I don't remember exactly, well some new options to search it per: name, chat tags (FINALLY IT WILL BE USED!!!), description and chat id

Example 1 (menu)

search_chat3.png.60c990df68bc68106a1304b61ef5df1b.png

Example 2 (search box/menu)

search_chat1.thumb.png.f7063c9fe16a254154760114a7f2fb75.png

Example 3 (search results)

search_chat2.thumb.png.1a26172aad9a3406b5aa19d6f7f84091.png

Examples were made using mobile, so don't judge me!

Edited by xLaming
  • Award 4

On 4/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, xLaming said:

Well, I'll now clarify how it would be..

We would have two tabs,  one called "messages" other "chat groups",

• Messages. It's fine actually, but need some improvements. Per example, a better way to add "OR", "AND" and "+" (automatically, maybe?)
  • Chat groups. It would be something like this tool ( https://mundosmilies.com/tools/search/ ) but with a lot of improvements. Per example, the amount of chats, actually maximum is 9 or 10... I don't remember exactly, well some new options to search it per: name, chat tags (FINALLY IT WILL BE USED!!!), description and chat id

Example 1 (menu)

search_chat3.png.60c990df68bc68106a1304b61ef5df1b.png

Example 2 (search box/menu)

search_chat1.thumb.png.f7063c9fe16a254154760114a7f2fb75.png

Example 3 (search results)

search_chat2.thumb.png.1a26172aad9a3406b5aa19d6f7f84091.png

Examples were made using mobile, so don't judge me!

I prefer the Example n. 2 as we can choose by tags, name or description. Maybe we're looking for something particular but we can't remember the chat's name. What is the solution? The tags or the description itself. The autofill search would be great too, similar to Google autofill search...

• Bot Service Providers
17 minutes ago, AlexiusZeta said:

I prefer the Example n. 2 as we can choose by tags, name or description. Maybe we're looking for something particular but we can't remember the chat's name. What is the solution? The tags or the description itself. The autofill search would be great too, similar to Google autofill search...

Yeah bro, its all in one, just separated by images :$ 

• Award 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members

I think the search feature should be extended to search for more things as it is very limited. I agree search by chat name should be added. 

It would be nice if there were options for the time. For example, being able to search for stuff exactly 2 hours ago or  up to 24 hours ago. This could help shorten the amount of search results depending on how long ago you thought something was said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members

I'm a bit late in the discussion, so sorry if I repeat any suggestion given earlier. But I think xat search should have a lot more resources. It should have a lot these features:
1) select language - when you're looking for a chat or for a user, you probably already know in which language they are chatting. So if you have this resource turned on, it'll be easier to filter.

2) select country - this is a bit a of an obvious one, but you should be able to select also in which country the chat you are looking for is located.

3) select date - i don't know for how long xat stores users messages, but you should be able to search even old messages, and this would make that a lot easier.

4) select rank - i'm not sure if this is doable in search results, but users should be allowed to search for messagens sent by an specific rank. Very useful to find kick/ban messages.

So let's imagine that the prior resources have been added. Is that all? Is there any reason why you would search other thing? Like, should you be able to search for an user? Perhaps, but then you'll need to deactivate ppl who have nofollow turned on, or should inform that they have this power. What else? I'm not sure.

• Advanced Members
22 minutes ago, BeaterUser said:

1) select language - when you're looking for a chat or for a user, you probably already know in which language they are chatting. So if you have this resource turned on, it'll be easier to filter.

This can be done for the advanced search of xat chats and select the language that the chat has configured.

26 minutes ago, BeaterUser said:

2) select country - this is a bit a of an obvious one, but you should be able to select also in which country the chat you are looking for is located.

The chats are not configured for a country, however they if for the language. This can be bad, if you are search for someone or chat with the Country Settings we would be sharing confidential information (xat takes user information very seriously) some people would not like to share their location/country.

It is never too late for feedback, less if it is with the intention of improving xat! :) 

• Advanced Members
1 minute ago, Abrahan said:

This can be done for the advanced search of xat chats and select the language that the chat has configured.

The chats are not configured for a country, however they if for the language. This can be bad, if you are search for someone or chat with the Country Settings we would be sharing confidential information (xat takes user information very seriously) some people would not like to share their location/country.

It is never too late for feedback, less if it is with the intention of improving xat! :) 

I guess an additional suggestion should be make then: when you create a chat group, you should (optionally) select on which country you are, if you want to, of course. This would make it easier for users to find your chatgroup, not only through xat search, but in the xat.com as well.

• Bot Service Providers

Well, 

Since language is already related to the country, I don't think it's necessary adding a new field "Country",

It's a good suggestion adding per language,

On 5/7/2020 at 7:19 AM, BeaterUser said:

i don't know for how long xat stores users messages

xat stores messages for 8 hours.

I thought this was already added, but it was previously added to Events, nice suggestion too.