HTML5 chat tickle suggestion

Joseph

• Advanced Members

it was supposed to be on there because there will be more editions with tickle tab.

also that idea already exists on flash and it was replaced justly because of new appareance and changes that will occur to the new tickle tab.

Thank you, if they has changed it they're aware that.

====EDIT=====

this is better: https://prnt.sc/rmyr2u than that: https://prnt.sc/rmyspx

Edited by Vevrok
  • Done! 1

• Members
21 minutes ago, SLOom said:

Admins made it this way so, it works and doesn't require extra work for mobile.

If they want to move it in the future, they will but for now, there is no plan to make it like Flash.

what does mobile have to do with the browser version? 

• Advanced Members

I agree with your suggestion 100%, Joseph. In terms of user experience, this new change is an eyesore. I understand that for the moment it may be the "easiest" option in terms of non-spaghettifying the way the chatbox works on HTML5, but I beg the old saying: 

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

6 hours ago, SLOom said:

there is no plan to make it like Flash.

I believe the developers and administrators of xat should consider moving listening if Joseph's suggestion is to gain enough support and traction. This is a completely horrid change and I'd rather just not have tickle. 

• Award 3
  • Done! 1

• Volunteers

It's natural that new changes will feel a bit "weird" at the first time

But we need to remember that xat in HTML is a work in progress, so most of the stuff that we see today will be changed in the future.

This is why this thread is important. User feedback is critical. 

I gotta admit that I'm a fan of the old tickle.

There you'd be able to chat while checking who clicked you - that's less convenient now since you've to switch in-chat tabs. 

But as commented by @SLOom, xat's main goal with the 25th March 2020 update was to adapt tickle into the mobile platforms (iOS and android). 

It was easy to guess that tickle would have to work differently on mobile compared to how it works on web.

Maybe in the next updates they can replan tickle on web - for all we know tickle works already, so it's just a matter of positioning now. 

I may agree that tickle is better within the Visitors/Friends tab, but I disagree with the idea of making HTML just the same as Flash.

There is an opportunity to make HTML better than Flash, and it can't be missed. 

Thanks @Joseph for this interesting thread. We should be discussing HTML changes more often here on the xat forums, the time for ideas and debates is right now. 

• Award 1
  • Wow 1
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The idea is that it is no longer just a tickle tab, it is a notifications tab.

(And yes it only does tickle for now!)

So in future more things will be added and there will be much more space on the left to hold it.

Longer term the plan is to be able to break out tabs as separate windows so you can decide what things you can see at the same time and make better use of a desktop screen(s).

• Award 1
  • Like 5

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Angelo said:

I agree with your suggestion 100%, Joseph. In terms of user experience, this new change is an eyesore. I understand that for the moment it may be the "easiest" option in terms of non-spaghettifying the way the chatbox works on HTML5, but I beg the old saying: 

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I believe the developers and administrators of xat should consider moving listening if Joseph's suggestion is to gain enough support and traction. This is a completely horrid change and I'd rather just not have tickle. 

I 100% Agree, with that. There's no need to fix something that has nothing wrong with it to begin with. That's just making more work. In my opinion where the tickle tab was, was fine. I saw nothing wrong with the placement of it.

22 minutes ago, Admin said:

The idea is that it is no longer just a tickle tab, it is a notifications tab.

(And yes it only does tickle for now!)

So in future more things will be added and there will be much more space on the left to hold it.

Longer term the plan is to be able to break out tabs as separate windows so you can decide what things you can see at the same time and make better use of a desktop screen(s).

Does this mean that it'll have a User info panel where you can select what you see and do not? 

• Volunteers

As a bonus idea, the tickle color could turn from green to orange once the counter reaches 5, and red once it reaches more than 9.

This would signal urgency or something that may need your attention.

Edited by Crow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Maybe we could hold this for the future @Crow and use the color indicator depending on the urgency of each type of notification. The quantity can already be seen clearly.

I honestly wasn't so against the new place of the "tickle" tab. We must be open to new possibilities and as with several changes that have happened in the past, everything is a matter of getting used to them.