Should username and ID be shown instead when kicking or banning?

Elie

• Advanced Members

An actually serious question (I see you /throwaway account).

I don't have many reasons for this.

1. Stops name abuse e.g.  I have kicked myself because I'm a memer Reason: trolling and *inappropriate name here*

2. It would make copying and pasting the ID quicker if you need to unban or talk to the user or reban.

Don't know if this has been discussed before. Probably has.

One would say usernames can be inappropriate, too, but those accounts usually get deleted and reregistering would take too long, making it occur not as often.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I think this would be a nice idea when kicking or banning a user, their id or regname would appear instead of their display name specially if they have inappropriate display name this is very ideal for them and it's much easier to get their id, you don't have refresh on the chat or you don't have go to the chat events to get the id of the kicked/banned user.

Often there's a raid on a chat and sometimes a user that constantly envading the chat using a very inappropriate display name then when a bot bans/kick them it shows their display names and even if it's censored it's still very annoying to see.

• Volunteers

That would break the translations of chat messages unless you change all the var. And that would be so frustrating.

I also think that it won't be that useful. That's just making it more precedural. For now, you can still use the events power to get ids and regnames...

Why not...

• Award 2

• Volunteers

It can be cool so, and stop displaying the nicknames that use smileys glitches.

Btw, It's not a bad idea to display the regname + ID (or just the regname...) instead of the name to get something cleaner.

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, Sydno said:

That would break the translations of chat messages unless you change all the var. And that would be so frustrating.

I also think that it won't be that useful. That's just making it more precedural. For now, you can still use the events power to get ids and regnames...

Why not...

Good point.  I think their point was to stop broadcasting the innap names further on the chat when banning.  It might be easier to just add a filter to names instead.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I know the argument against inappropriate names is a good one, but honestly this is just un-needed confusion.

Maybe all of us have register names that match our nicknames but if there's a user called "Sam" and his register name is "iLikePandasXD" then no-one is going to know it was the user called "Sam" who was kicked until they click him. Maybe this could only apply to toons? Since it's them that are spamming the inappropriate names?

• Award 4

• Advanced Members
21 minutes ago, Stah said:

Maybe this could only apply to toons? Since it's them that are spamming the inappropriate names?

I definitely agree if this would be specially to toon users.

• Advanced Members

I

2 minutes ago, Cupim said:

Very good idea. 

I see it as a way to stop people who abuse with the nickname field. 

Maybe there can be two switches, for instance: 

[ ] Mark this to show the username and xat id instead of nickname when banned/kicked (All ranks)

[ ] Mark this to show the username and xat id instead of nickname when banned/kicked (For guests only)

Those options can be displayed here:

c6cb06e7b1a0453c804516b6e1e24635.png

Great. I think it's time xat add a new features on the Edit Extra Feature's page.

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Sydno said:

Example? I'm not sure what you mean.

2 hours ago, SlOom said:

It can be cool so, and stop displaying the nicknames that use smileys glitches.

Btw, It's not a bad idea to display the regname + ID (or just the regname...) instead of the name to get something cleaner.

I forgot to mention this. There used to be toons that would put the code in their names and get banned by the bot. Of course the fix is disabling the powers, but as someone that actually uses powers in conversation it's inconvenient.

• Volunteers
I have banned $1 for $2 hours. Reason: $3 

Here the ban message where $x are var. Those messages are translatable through the wiki so people can see it in their own language, e.g: 

J'ai banni $1 pour $2 heures. Raison : $3 

The var are collected through packets.

From some years, admins aren't editing the wiki file, maybe for technical reasons.

This means that if you change the meaning of a var (the specific packet), translators won't be able to edit the translation. I don't know precisely how would packets be used and redirected.

I assume that would became "I have banned $1 $2 for $3 hours. Reason $4" which would displays (if the file is not updated) for a 10 hours ban of Sydno, reason "Yes" (in french):

"J'ai banni Sydno 10 pour Yes heures. Raison : $4"

That's an example, maybe that could be fixed. Yet, the wiki file need to be updated, otherwise other languages will not profit of this change.