gifs

zuzu

• Volunteers

GIFs are great on social media, instant messenger and forum platforms, but would they be great on xat chat boxes?

• How much room would they take up in the chat box without zooming?
  • Would they clutter up the chat box and cause flood?
  • Would grainy, low resolution GIFs make the chat look bad?
  • Would users spend less money on sticker powers, hug powers, kisses and even smiley powers because of them?
  • Would xat have to review and remove any inappropriate ones that potentially interfere with their own Terms of Service (i.e. "The service may not be used to transmit material that is vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, promotes any dangerous or illegal activity")?
  • Would they take away from xat's identity and make the chats more like every other instant messenger service?
  • Would they cause more lag for users?

I do see the benefits though, because they can be expressive and fun to use.

If they were to be added, perhaps they'd work better in private chats only rather than the main chat, as they'd be less disruptive there. Or at least be trialled in private chats before deciding whether to allow them in the main chat or not.

• Award 1
  • Like 2

• Advanced Members

@Crow well  i think that can take alot of times yeah and hard work but  yeah its can make xat chats better 

the only one problem  isee its if there is innap gif but we already had that problem in forum we have innap gif we can use it   

but gifs its good idea can added at least in privet chat

• Like 1

• Advanced Members
57 minutes ago, Crow said:

GIFs are great on social media, instant messenger and forum platforms, but would they be great on xat chat boxes?

• How much room would they take up in the chat box without zooming?
  • Would they clutter up the chat box and cause flood?
  • Would grainy, low resolution GIFs make the chat look bad?
  • Would users spend less money on sticker powers, hug powers, kisses and even smiley powers because of them?
  • Would xat have to review and remove any inappropriate ones that potentially interfere with their own Terms of Service (i.e. "The service may not be used to transmit material that is vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, promotes any dangerous or illegal activity")?
  • Would they take away from xat's identity and make the chats more like every other instant messenger service?
  • Would they cause more lag for users?

I do see the benefits though, because they can be expressive and fun to use.

If they were to be added, perhaps they'd work better in private chats only rather than the main chat, as they'd be less disruptive there. Or at least be trialled in private chats before deciding whether to allow them in the main chat or not.

You always overthink simple and easy stuff. Yes, gifs are needed and if someone post an inapp gift, the message shall be deleted. Period.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Like 1

• Volunteers
20 minutes ago, Leandro said:

You always overthink simple and easy stuff. Yes, gifs are needed and if someone post an inapp gift, the message shall be deleted. Period.

The problem with the GIF menu is that you're adding these unsuitable images directly onto the xat interface for them to be readily used by anyone. If we say that certain GIFs are not suitable for xat then they shouldn't be added directly onto the interface for selection IMO.

But equally I see your point. They can be moderated by chat staff and treated like any other inappropriate content. Nobody is forcing users to search and post them, after all.

• Like 1

• Advanced Members
21 minutes ago, Crow said:

If we say that certain GIFs are not suitable for xat then they shouldn't be added directly onto the interface for selection IMO.

What you are implying here means adding a system (like Giphy) so we can upload our gifs? This is going to cost xat and is useless in my opinion. Just use Giphy already.

• Like 2

• Volunteers
2 hours ago, Crow said:

Would they clutter up the chat box and cause flood?

I'm not seeing any issues with that. We have stickers which are kinda big and i'm not seeing any people spamming them? If they do spam gifs, you can simply ban them?

2 hours ago, Crow said:

Would grainy, low resolution GIFs make the chat look bad?

What if you can zoom the gif by clicking it? ;) 

2 hours ago, Crow said:

Would they cause more lag for users?

If it was about to be implemented, the first thing which will be added is a setting to disable gifs in chat, so if it gives lags to the users, they can simply turn it off.

2 hours ago, Crow said:

Would users spend less money on sticker powers, hug powers, kisses and even smiley powers because of them?

No, users would still spend money on powers like the ones you mentioned (because of everypower). You think you can do "gif combinations" like you can do with a smiley power? No. 

Gifs can be a great experience for xat and also a modern thing (outside of powers etc) but can still be restricted in the use of that.

spacer.png

Edited by SLOom
  • Like 2

• Volunteers
26 minutes ago, SLOom said:

I'm not seeing any issues with that. We have stickers which are kinda big and i'm not seeing any people spamming them? If they do spam gifs, you can simply ban them?

I'm guessing people don't spam them because they have to spend money to get them, whereas these GIFs are free and much more accessible.

27 minutes ago, SLOom said:

No, users would still spend money on powers like the ones you mentioned (because of everypower). You think you can do "gif combinations" like you can do with a smiley power? No. 

Putting Everypower aside, would users buy a set of Christmas stickers if they can just use Christmas GIFs for free?

I do think it would take some money away from the xat store.

• Like 1

• Advanced Members
32 minutes ago, Crow said:

I do think it would take some money away from the xat store.

I agree with you here; it would likely reduce power sales. But from what I've seen, xat is struggling to compete with more modern alternatives like Discord, and I think embedded gifs are a basic feature of modern social media platforms and that adding them to xat would make the site more appealing, and thus more competitive long-term. I think the overall benefits outweigh the consequences of less short-term power sales. 

I think this is a great idea that probably should have been implemented years ago, but better late than never. I think they should be free, too, as they are on other platforms; the only way xat is ever going to compete with a growing list of alternatives is if they at least offer the same basic features free of charge.

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members

@Leandro  i didnt said that system i said gifs should be added by admins so we have only cute gifs not all gifs should be allowed its not users who add the gifs its  should already added by admins so users will  only use it at xat chats

@SLOom ty for all those info i agree with you  (blowkiss) and as i said gifs can be moderate by admins or mainowners so they can fex any spamm or innap 

• Like 1

• Advanced Members
4 hours ago, theFlower said:

@Leandro  i didnt said that system i said gifs should be added by admins so we have only cute gifs not all gifs should be allowed its not users who add the gifs its  should already added by admins so users will  only use it at xat chats

I wasn't tallking to you, I was replying to Crow.

• Done! 1

• 2 months later...

hello everyone, this topic is very interesting and in my opinion @Crow's objections are very significant, because it is considered humanly impossible to check all the gifs that users can upload one day at a time.

I would think more of a system similar to Telegram, where users write @gif and come out of the gifs already preloaded by the system.

5cf6Dxr.png

xat could possibly think of a kind of power called gif that allows users to chat in gifs, but ONLY those authorized by xat itself.

• Bot Service Providers
2 hours ago, Admin said:

What would this look like in the chat ?

(a picture is worth a 1000 words)

My suggestion related to this is you using the current 8ball button but just changing a few,

Instead of opening a new "pop-up" on clicking, it would be on hovering the mouse over button for some seconds, with some tabs.

But something more user-friendly.

Per example:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.4dc9627dfe90e9673c0ef791d8d18a09.png

• Award 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, xLaming said:

My suggestion related to this is you using the current 8ball button but just changing a few,

Instead of opening a new "pop-up" on clicking, it would be on hovering the mouse over button for some seconds, with some tabs.

Per example:

Yeah @xLaming that would be a great implementation.

• Advanced Members

@Admin http://prntscr.com/se42g6 shoudl be like this

you can also add xat smiles there with gifs too so you can delete the other place of xat smiles and you will have free place to add  other things

1 hour ago, AlexiusZeta said:

hello everyone, this topic is very interesting and in my opinion @Crow's objections are very significant, because it is considered humanly impossible to check all the gifs that users can upload one day at a time.

I would think more of a system similar to Telegram, where users write @gif and come out of the gifs already preloaded by the system.

5cf6Dxr.png

xat could possibly think of a kind of power called gif that allows users to chat in gifs, but ONLY those authorized by xat itself.

as i said before we can add gifs from powers or some famous gifs  i mean limited gifs get added not   all 

for  not get the innap problem for gifs or bad gifs 

50 minutes ago, xLaming said:

Per example:

not in 8ball i suggested the other side of the chat  in same place  http://prntscr.com/se42g6

• Award 1
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members
43 minutes ago, Admin said:

Can someone do a mock up of what it would look like please ?

(Picture worth a 1000 words)

Or it could be something like this:

image.thumb.png.7cb2d7e697ffc9cdc53a7d2658f17de0.png

Edited by Leandro
nani?!
  • Thanks 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Like 1