New Lost Access "Policy"

Daniel

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, Isa said:

We need to think for all, not only ourselves. I'm a paid user, I don't think I'll have a problem, but I'm worried for other people, let's talk about, for example, Venezuelans, they have NO WAY of getting xats, unless they buy them from another user, which is something that xat does not support, so saying they just don't have money to buy xats, and they have nothing, but an account they've used for years, why would they need to get a new account? 

That's discriminatory...

This is an EXCELLENT point. You're right it's just total bull for lack of a better term that these users more than others will, every single time, be denied access if they ever lose it. Just because of the fact they can't buy xats from xat.

• Award 2

• Contributors

If you don't understand what this subject is about, don't post in it or your post will be removed and you will be received a warning for going off-topic.

This isn't for one section alone or any chat(s), its about how it affects all of us now.

This topic is about having a value of 1,000 xats total in your account to be recovered. This isn't about being a paid user or not.

• Advanced Members

A bit confused as to why we have still heard no response from a single volunteer or admin on this issue when it's clearly important to the community and has been up for more than 6 hours now. I would hope the reason is because they're discussing it privately before making a statement, but I don't know if that's the case... Nobody is going to be able to understand this policy if we don't even know why it was implemented!

Then again, maybe we have... under the guise of "Mom," lol

edit: WE FOUND MOM

f72f68b5c5c2479ba83ad65e81d144e6.png

CONFIRMED

• Award 5

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Steven said:

A bit confused as to why we have still heard no response from a single volunteer or admin on this issue when it's clearly important to the community and has been up for more than 6 hours now. I would hope the reason is because they're discussing it privately before making a statement, but I don't know if that's the case... Nobody is going to be able to understand this policy if we don't even know why it was implemented!

Then again, maybe we have... under the guise of "Mom," lol

edit: WE FOUND MOM

f72f68b5c5c2479ba83ad65e81d144e6.png

CONFIRMED

I'm sure they're talking to each other about what to say. This is a really sensitive issue that surprisingly everyone in the forum agrees about, and saying the wrong thing might make the community more upset which helps no one. 

I'm confident we'll get a comment from the vols or Chris soon. From past topics the vols always comment on matters like this. We just have to wait. 

• Advanced Members

Ok, I can sort of understand the argument in favor of this. Accounts worth less than 1k xats don't have much business value for the site, and the time that volunteers lose sorting through these problems could be spent on other issues that might be "worth" more. So in a kind of cold, utilitarian way, maybe this is a sound decision to make, and to be fair, the team of volunteers is still mostly a group of unpaid students, so they don't exactly have a whole lot to work with.

That being said, I think it's still worth considering other effects that a decision like this could have. If the response on the forum is in any way representative of the entire xat community, this wasn't exactly a popular change. It's important that users generally feel like the site is fair, and even if you can't put an exact price on it, user morale is valuable. Plus it's a good point that owning 1,000 xats can be a big hurdle for certain groups where payment options are more limited.

So, I mean, maybe it is a "good" decision, but it still kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Communism said:

Ok, I can sort of understand the argument in favor of this. Accounts worth less than 1k xats don't have much business value for the site, and the time that volunteers lose sorting through these problems could be spent on other issues that might be "worth" more. So in a kind of cold, utilitarian way, maybe this is a sound decision to make, and to be fair, the team of volunteers is still mostly a group of unpaid students, so they don't exactly have a whole lot to work with.

That being said, I think it's still worth considering other effects that a decision like this could have. If the response on the forum is in any way representative of the entire xat community, this wasn't exactly a popular change. It's important that users generally feel like the site is fair, and even if you can't put an exact price on it, user morale is valuable. Plus it's a good point that owning 1,000 xats can be a big hurdle for certain groups where payment options are more limited.

So, I mean, maybe it is a "good" decision, but it still kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that time is being wasted on users who do not hit the bar of 1,000 xats OR a short name.

From my own conversations, I have been told that this is an over reaction and it doesn't affect many users in the first place. Well why was this implemented? Surely if it's "not a big deal" or, for talk's sake, only affects 1/100 users or even 1/10 users then this isn't even a problem that requires some sort of policy to improve efficiency - it's just plain rude and sad that users are now being denied access to their accounts on the basis that xat only wants to help users who have contributed to the website.

That brings up another point, the 1,000 xats bar does not measure any contribution to xat at all, a paid user with 500 xats may be rejected access but a non paid user who got 1,000 xats for free would be given access. This isn't even good service to users who are helping support xat directly.

• Advanced Members
55 minutes ago, Stah said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that time is being wasted on users who do not hit the bar of 1,000 xats OR a short name.

From my own conversations, I have been told that this is an over reaction and it doesn't affect many users in the first place. Well why was this implemented? Surely if it's "not a big deal" or, for talk's sake, only affects 1/100 users or even 1/10 users then this isn't even a problem that requires some sort of policy to improve efficiency - it's just plain rude and sad that users are now being denied access to their accounts on the basis that xat only wants to help users who have contributed to the website.

That brings up another point, the 1,000 xats bar does not measure any contribution to xat at all, a paid user with 500 xats may be rejected access but a non paid user who got 1,000 xats for free would be given access. This isn't even good service to users who are helping support xat directly.

I don't really disagree with anything you've said. Having requirements for receiving certain basic levels of support is definitely not the mark of an effective system (in fact I think my account might have fewer than 1,000 xats on it, not too sure), and the idea of throwing certain users under the bus to make it a little better for others also does not sit well with me. But it still a question of tradeoffs, which unfortunately  -might- be necessary sometimes given that the volunteers really can't make fundamental changes to how the support system works.

I think the answer ultimately boils down to what the volunteers have to gain from this change. if it really is "not a big deal", then I would agree that it's not worth it.

• Elie locked this topic
  • Advanced Members

Re-opening the thread as this is what the General Discussion board is for...

Anyways, these rules are still subject to change. Please keep this in mind. We're still working on a few things.

Thanks guys!

• Award 1

• Nick unlocked this topic
  • Advanced Members
27 minutes ago, Elie said:

So, the policy still exists, but modified.

Here are the exceptions:

1. Shortnames (it was actually an exception before but it wasn't known)
  2. Paid user (obviously? You can also let us know if you own a paid account and we'll verify)
  3. Cool ID (very subjective)

Sentimental value won't be considered. Sorry (not sorry).

If your account doesn't fall into any of these categories (if your value is less than 1000 xats) then you'll be told to create a new account.

So what if someone has a power/s they stored in an account and the power is less and 1000 xats and they do not fall under any of these categories, you will tell the user they cannot recover the power or??? 

I just don't see why this policy became a thing in the first place. Everything was fine before, why change it up now? Denying users help isn't help xat KEEP their current users, because that number is dropping. 

I was hoping we would here an explanation as to why this was implemented, give the community a reasoning because the way I personally see it, is it's a way to give vols less work and less tickets and I KNOW that's not the case. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
26 minutes ago, Elie said:

Here are the exceptions:

2. Paid user (obviously? You can also let us know if you own a paid account and we'll verify)

If your account doesn't fall into any of these categories (if your value is less than 1000 xats) then you'll be told to create a new account.

Totally not what we were looking for.

I don't think every single point we brought up before has to be posted AGAIN, but I will however bring up just one. I still believe that you have no place to tell a user what their account is worth. That account could have been in their possession since 2010, it will have all of their friends, gifts, ranks, current bff/marriage status and more things that I can't think of right now.

Modifying the policy was not the aim of this thread. You're still singling out a very small minority of users for absolutely no reason. You're saying we are over exaggerating because that it's such a small amount of people who are affected - but that means whole thing was set up to stop a tiny amount of people from getting their accounts back?

Talk about irony.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
23 minutes ago, Elie said:

Here are the exceptions:

What's about the email?

Example:

I have an account (lost access)

- ugly id

- no shortname

- no xats/days/powers

- not paid

So i lost it. I need to re-create an account.

But i can't register another account on the same email, cause the email is used.

How does it work?

• Advanced Members
1 minute ago, Jedi said:

What's about the email?

Example:

I have an account (lost access)

- ugly id

- no shortname

- no xats/days/powers

- not paid

So i lost it. I need to re-create an account.

But i can't register another account on the same email, cause the email is used.

How does it work?

Create a new e-mail... that's not something that's changed.

• Advanced Members

Who is to say what is a cool ID or not?  10000143 may not look cool to some.  

However..it was given by Admins.  

The general population of xat does not have powers or value.  THIS is why users are leaving.

WAKE UP xat!  TAKE initiative and do something before it is too late.

xat was founded as a chat site.  Not a generation of who has what.

I am not sure it is even legal to use a free chat system that does not afford help to ALL users.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
Just now, Paul said:

Even though these changes now seem fairer I still think its bad in some cases, and the point Jedi has bought up is a good point

It's not fair until no users are being singled out for absolutely no reason.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Stah said:

It's not fair until no users are being singled out for absolutely no reason.

I didnt say its fully fair now, I basically said it is now fairer as in they are currently going in the right direction, more things still need to be done yes, since some users will still be affected by this, and these people might consider quiting xat due to these changes that will affect them, why should users be forced to pay (to gt 1000 xats value) to get support?

• Advanced Members

Firstly there is no reason for anyone to tell you they're a paid user, you can see that yourself.

People shouldn't have to tell you facts like that. If you own a shortname it doesn't make you any different from someone who doesn't. Stupid rule.

Who decides if someones id is "cool" or not. And since when has something being cool been the reason for you to get help. The ID 10145251521 might mean absolutely nothing to the volunteer who is dealing with the issue, and isn't remotely "cool" to anyone who looks at it. But to the user that ID could mean something directly to them, and volunteers shouldn't be able to dictate if that user gets helped or not based on the fact they deem the ID to not be "cool" 

Not only is this policy change something that wasn't the aim of this thread at all. The aim was to get this policy totally removed and allow everyone to get help regardless of their value, which is apparently assessed by volunteers based on coolness. 

It seems the whole policy is purely there to save volunteers time. Which shouldn't be the case. A volunteer has also openly expressed his opinion that if your account is less than 1000 xats then theres no reason you should be helped. Which not only is utterly disgusting it also goes against the mentality that you're there to help the users, not to save yourself time.

i am livid lol

• Award 4

• Members

I just personally don't understand why this was ever implemented. Like, what benefit does it pose other than saving volunteer's time? You go to support to get support, it shouldn't matter who you are or why you made the ticket (unless you are trolling, obviously.) I'm not going to reiterate what everyone else has already said because I've already seen the same statement roughly ~4 times already, but in all honesty, this is quite selfish and I don't see why it was a thing (ever.)

Are tickets really that impacted that some people have to be ignored or their ticket thrown away to save time for volunteers? If you join the volunteer team on xat, you should be ready and expecting to volunteer your time to help others on xat. Recently many new volunteers have been added to the team, which I would assume it help alleviate ticket times. If the tickets are really so heavy that volunteers can't handle it, what other ways could you help to get either tickets solved faster and/or save the time of current volunteers? You could add more volunteers, you could release any volunteers not doing their part (if any) and replace them with people deemed worthy (which I doubt you would have any issue finding people who would want to be volunteer), you could 

I'm not the most active person @ Help, or any official chat for that matter, but I have seen how badly xat has deteriorated over the years since I've been on it. I'm not bashing xat or official chats, it's just facts, you'd have to be blind to not see this. xat clearly is going downhill, and actions such as this are definitely not helping to bring users back nor would it help to bring new users. As @Christina stated, xat was founded to be a site of chatting, and when you can't even access your account that holds your friend's list and basically your identification on xat, you would get support. But now you can't even receive support for it because xat doesn't deem you "cool" enough to be helped, that's just saddening. I understand 1,000 worth in xats really isn't much, but it shouldn't matter, no one should lose the right to receive help just because they didn't decide to buy xats (or simply couldn't afford it.) In my opinion it's already bad enough you have to be a paid user to make tickets in certain departments, but that's irrelevant to this topic.

In short, what is to gain from this policy? What issue made this policy arise? Why is it the decided way to deal with said issue? I have a feeling none of this will be changed, but could we at least be given a set standard for what is considered a "cool" ID? It leaves a very huge gray area if you just say it's up to volunteers to decide (when I'm sure not every volunteer has the same standard to consider an ID "cool").

• Award 4

• Advanced Members
10 minutes ago, Alecks said:

In short, what is to gain from this policy? What issue made this policy arise? Why is it the decided way to deal with said issue? I have a feeling none of this will be changed, but could we at least be given a set standard for what is considered a "cool" ID? It leaves a very huge gray area if you just say it's up to volunteers to decide (when I'm sure not every volunteer has the same standard to consider an ID "cool").

From the discussions at Help, we have not been given any reason except "time" yet being told over and over we are overreacting about this because it only affects a very small minority (apparently 3 users since it was implemented a week or two ago). I literally cannot see why couldn't just help those 3 users regardless of how much volunteers believe their account is worth.

The blatant disregard to these users and the pure ignorance to say that your account only means something if you have 1,000 xats is just something other worldly to me. Sydney put it fantastically.

It seems like this policy right now is just affecting a minority for no apparent reason. How does 3 users in total remove any time worth having this policy? I, for one, don't know

• Advanced Members

I had high hopes in the new volunteer team to change the direction xat was heading and to restore the faith and do good.

To some..what I did for xat may NOT matter.  I always fought for the good of the user and would speak out against what 

would harm.  Listen to the people.  Be of the people.  Even if this policy only effects 5 people..that is 5 people too many.

• Advanced Members
12 minutes ago, Alecks said:

Are tickets really that impacted that some people have to be ignored or their ticket thrown away to save time for volunteers? If you join the volunteer team on xat, you should be ready and expecting to volunteer your time to help others on xat. Recently many new volunteers have been added to the team, which I would assume it help alleviate ticket times. If the tickets are really so heavy that volunteers can't handle it, what other ways could you help to get either tickets solved faster and/or save the time of current volunteers? 

But the thing is, the cause of this policy can't be because of overwhelming ticket numbers in this department because the number of users are going down, so there for the number of tickets being submitted is clearly going down. I'd 100% understand if this was the case but it just can't be. There's another reason why they implemented this policy and for whatever reason, they are not telling us this.

I was hoping they didn't respond to this thread because they were working on a statement that would settle this once and for all, that would give us the EXACT reason why they did this. But no, we just got "modifications" and that's all. It's just disappointing and I hope they see that the community isn't pleased with these modifications and HOPEFULLY they'll address this issue in detail.

4 minutes ago, Christina said:

Even if this policy only effects 5 people..that is 5 people too many.

It shouldn't matter the amount of people it is affecting. Xat should value all of their users, not just some. Especially when the number of their users is going down. They should want to keep users, no matter the value of their account. You always valued ALL users no matter their history, or worth when you were vol, I was hoping that your values would transfer to the current vol team. But with this policy, that value did not transfer at all. 

As Karl beautifully stated, this is "utterly disgusting".

• Award 1