How the new chat could be (code part)

Jedi

• Advanced Members
Just now, Arckas said:

We have to download?

Nope, you can see the output on the gif or register on the given link in the readme.

But, I posted it for the code :$. Cause it's powerfull and you can use it on desktop/tablet/mobile (no need ios app or android app).

• Advanced Members
13 minutes ago, Stah said:

I doubt xat would use this. xat already have a design and I am pretty sure they're going to stick to it. I also assume that they are going to want to create it themselves.

I mean using react+redux as language instead of html5.

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I am learning React+Redux for work, and i found this on github: https://github.com/raineroviir/react-redux-socketio-chat

Of course it's not xat design, but it has a lot of functions already used on xat (typing/PC/...).

They can start with something like this ;).

Booo! You shall flagellate yourself while reading the K&R to expiate your sins!

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, Jedi said:

It's the future of the web (d). Everything one page using js.

(If you're not familiar with programming, you'll probably not understand my post rant, so just ignore it.)

It's so much the future that people who write single-page app frameworks are using magic tricks as workarounds. (think backbone.js)

SPA (for web browsers ; it makes sense for a mobile app) are bound to fail. Even their author are aware, and are already backpedaling.

Anyway, I was referring to JS in general.

Vanilla JavaScript is good. It's a bit flaky, but whatever, it's the only way to get stuff done in a browser.

JQuery is good too, but now, it's gotten too far.

Why are there so many library for everything ? This line has been downloaded 23 873 268 dowloads in the last month. Oh, and let's talk about FuseJS, I definitely need to access fuse bindings and access obscure filesystems with nodeJS!!!

Why are there so many packages manager ? (bower, jspm, jam, npm, oxygen…)

Why do you use JavaScript everywhere ? Browsers, servers, mobiles, workstations

I hate JS devs. They are codding hippies. What makes your model-view-whatever framework superheroic? What IS a model-view-whatever framework on the first place?

And Angular was made by developpers working at a company that brags about having the elite developpers.

They make beautiful applications on their 32GB-hexacores machines. They stack depencies like there's no tomorrow.

What's the result?

The average web page's size is now the same size as Doom (source)

A few years ago, when Firefox allocated more than 1GB of my RAM, I would call it a bug. Now, it's not uncommon for it to reach 2.5GB

[Edit: How could I even forgot to mention this those]

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
9 hours ago, XeR said:

(If you're not familiar with programming, you'll probably not understand my post rant, so just ignore it.)

It's so much the future that people who write single-page app frameworks are using magic tricks as workarounds. (think backbone.js)

SPA (for web browsers ; it makes sense for a mobile app) are bound to fail. Even their author are aware, and are already backpedaling.

Anyway, I was referring to JS in general.

Vanilla JavaScript is good. It's a bit flaky, but whatever, it's the only way to get stuff done in a browser.

JQuery is good too, but now, it's gotten too far.

Why are there so many library for everything ? This line has been downloaded 23 873 268 dowloads in the last month. Oh, and let's talk about FuseJS, I definitely need to access fuse bindings and access obscure filesystems with nodeJS!!!

Why are there so many packages manager ? (bower, jspm, jam, npm, oxygen…)

Why do you use JavaScript everywhere ? Browsers, servers, mobiles, workstations

I hate JS devs. They are codding hippies. What makes your model-view-whatever framework superheroic? What IS a model-view-whatever framework on the first place?

And Angular was made by developpers working at a company that brags about having the elite developpers.

They make beautiful applications on their 32GB-hexacores machines. They stack depencies like there's no tomorrow.

What's the result?

The average web page's size is now the same size as Doom (source)

A few years ago, when Firefox allocated more than 1GB of my RAM, I would call it a bug. Now, it's not uncommon for it to reach 2.5GB

[Edit: How could I even forgot to mention this those]

Yeah, but it's how it works now, and you can't change that unless being an "old dev", keeping his outdated way to work (lol as3 c tro la miser mtn).

Today, if you want a job as a dev, they will ask you those js frameworks. Same with PHP, they want a dev who knows at least Symfony or Zend.

So you clearly need to learn those things, you don't have the choice.

"Why are there so many library for everything ?" -> It's the new wave, share your code to being use.

"Why are there so many packages manager ?" -> About that, i don't understand either, i only use npm.

"Why do you use JavaScript everywhere ?" -> You don't have to port your application multiple times, only once is needed.

e.g: xat, taking more than a year to release their android app, and a year later (maybe more) to release their ios app.

If they used javascript, in one year they would be able to release their new chat everywhere (mobile/tablet/desktop).

How many Doom can you run on your computer today ? 5k at the same time ?

So i'm sure you can handle a web page with 2mb of libraries.

Using a backend (API) using PHP7 and frontend using a js framework is the new way to go.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

EDIT:

I'm adding this https://github.com/bartonhammond/snowflake for those who think it doesn't work on mobile :).

On 30/05/2016 at 11:54 PM, XeR said:

SPA (for web browsers ; it makes sense for a mobile app) are bound to fail.

I hate JS devs. They are codding hippies.

Now tell me again js is for hippies and this technology will fail (xd).