Suggestion: verify suggestions

Steven

• Advanced Members

Exactly what we need. However, it's important when these threads are being moderated to consider that some suggestions may be brought up again if considerable change has been made, or something new further enables the suggestion to come in to place.

For example my time stamps re-post, this is not an original suggestion but xat added time stamps to messages (in the packets) which made the idea more viable.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

Report them if they have been previously suggested or are obvious future powers (like statusgrad and statuswave). Try to have evidence of it being previously suggested.

They'll be deleted and if it continues from the same users, they'll have their content moderated and require approval (most likely won't get it).

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Elie said:

Report them if they have been previously suggested or are obvious future powers (like statusgrad and statuswave). Try to have evidence of it being previously suggested.

They'll be deleted and if it continues from the same users, they'll have their content moderated and require approval (most likely won't get it).

Sounds fine by me.

• Advanced Members
On 5/23/2016 at 10:00 PM, Elie said:

You refused this idea on help because it would "blow up your notifications", isn't that just another way to shrug off laziness? 

It's not just two people doing this, literally 80% of all suggestions posted are unoriginal, and there's literally no point in having these threads unless there's something new that will help it along or you have improved upon it significantly.

There are 12 volunteers and 3 forum mods and you all can't come together and spend some of your time to make the forum much more enjoyable and productive in terms of xat getting real ideas, and users getting real feedback by only approving valid suggestions? If you or others not willing to take some time to moderate the forum like you are assigned to to do then, to put it bluntly, why don't we get new moderators who will? This idea would definitely put an end to drama around the unoriginal suggestions, but I don't want it being put to and end because of laziness.

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately, not all volunteers use the forum. And of the few who do, fewer actually moderate. It doesn't take a lot of effort though. They also have other "responsibilities."

About the notification thing, it's an annoyance on mobile. So is "disapproving." You can't really disapprove a post here. It's just a preference. I never said I wouldn't do it. I just don't want to be bombarded with notifications.

As for why we don't get new moderators, I don't make the decisions. v.v

• Volunteers
4 hours ago, Elie said:

Unfortunately, not all volunteers use the forum. And of the few who do, fewer actually moderate. It doesn't take a lot of effort though. They also have other "responsibilities."

8 hours ago, Steven said:

If it's too much to make forum mods do it since there are only like 3, maybe contributors or wiki editors could have the ability to approve these threads as well.

Is it impossible?

• Advanced Members

We can definitely change how topics are posted in the Suggestions section. However, we should see more input (preferably actual text instead of just liking the original post). While the idea is plausible, just a couple members' posts are not enough to lead to change. How do people really feel about it, and is this better than having people simply report poor content? When browsing the forum, I find content all the time that should have been reported. People seldom report rule-breaking content.

Additionally, how do we determine if a topic is to be approved? An unoriginal or uncreative idea is not necessarily breaking any current rule.

We also don't necessarily need a new forum moderator. The forum is being moderated. If it's not, we should be seeing more reports and recommendations for new rules to make this forum a better place. We are definitely open to new ideas.

Perhaps we could create a list of requirements that each suggestion must meet. We do have a topic that recommends how to make a suggestion, but we could build on this to make it more concrete and final.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
18 hours ago, Brandon said:

We can definitely change how topics are posted in the Suggestions section. However, we should see more input (preferably actual text instead of just liking the original post). While the idea is plausible, just a couple members' posts are not enough to lead to change. How do people really feel about it, and is this better than having people simply report poor content? When browsing the forum, I find content all the time that should have been reported. People seldom report rule-breaking content.

Additionally, how do we determine if a topic is to be approved? An unoriginal or uncreative idea is not necessarily breaking any current rule.

We also don't necessarily need a new forum moderator. The forum is being moderated. If it's not, we should be seeing more reports and recommendations for new rules to make this forum a better place. We are definitely open to new ideas.

Perhaps we could create a list of requirements that each suggestion must meet. We do have a topic that recommends how to make a suggestion, but we could build on this to make it more concrete and final.

If it was a "couple of members' posts" then I would agree. As Arthur said, 80% of the threads posted in suggestions are re-posts of previous ideas (whether the user knows about this or not). I'm sure we can all agree that suggestions are hardly ever chosen to be made, so if a suggestion is posted it should at least have a small chance of being made, if it's already been suggested before, it's already been seen and it's already not been made. The only time when this doesn't apply is if the suggestion has been forgotten about and it's worth bringing back.

We can go with the reporting poor content solution but as you said, people don't report things. They'd rather post on it and start a fuss (for what reason I don't know), as seen in few recent threads.

I agree that we should come up with requirements. I have come up with some examples.

A smiley power suggestion should not be approved if:

• It is not original (or not been brought up in a moderate period of time and it has been added to i.e. not re-suggesting the same power with same smilies)
  • There are no proposed smilies OR
  • There is less than 5 proposed smilies
  • It is likely going to come up in the future (à la statusgrad and statuswave)

A function power should not be approved if:

• It is not original (or listed in the "Xat pls" list see below)
  • The function is not fully explained (i.e. "New ban power to add jail bars to users pawn" is not a valid suggestion)

Xat pls. On the League of Legends reddit page, there's a list (found here) of commonly suggested additions that are listed on a page (much like the "xat to do list") which also forbids them from being posted on the reddit page (or it'll get deleted). I think if we have a list of things that have already been suggested (mostly functions) it will stop users from bringing up trade updates, silver pawn, rainbow pawn and so on every couple of months

Example "Xat pls" list

• Add everypower/allpowers button to trade
  • New pawns
  • A way to disable kisses (i.e. no kiss power)
  • Award 2

• Advanced Members

I don't like the idea of deleting posts before they even become public.

Would it be too much asked then to have a stickied topic with ALL suggestions listed then?

Then you could just add a reply "Already suggested, read thread X before suggesting again" and lock the thread.

Either that, or after approving/disapproving the post, I think the post should become public. Locked from further replies, if not approved. And then maybe purged after a week or two.

• Advanced Members

not a bad idea 

but also there are some people when they think of a proposal they do not know if there is someone else suggested this.

When if it is possible to say to him that this proposal suggested the  someone else

then will close thread .

but if this speech to accept and does not accept this .

i think that a lot of people will hate  this.

**This is my personal opinion**

thank you for your suggestion

• Advanced Members
36 minutes ago, Tamer said:

When if it is possible to say to him that this proposal suggested the  someone else

then will close thread .

What's the difference if the thread is not viewable or viewable but locked? Either way no-one can contribute.

• Advanced Members
Just now, TinkerDoodle said:

I don't see why users can't just report repeated suggestions instead of commenting "this was suggested before". it'll inform the mods and they'll delete it right away. 

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

An unoriginal or uncreative idea is not necessarily breaking any current rule.

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, Christina said:

I personally do not like the idea. I think everyone should be free to suggest.

Some great ideas are bread from stupid ones.  Censorship is overrated.  

But suggesting the same thing that's been suggested 806 times really should not count as suggesting.

If I were to go around duplicating all of Stah's posts, surely I'd have them removed. So why can someone create the exact same suggestion that's been posted so many times and have their post left alone? Just because the wording may be different really does not mean it's an original post with original content.

As for the idea of stickying commonly suggested ideas, people don't think to check other threads before they post their own. That has become very evident recently when several users posted suggestions that had already been suggested literally on the same day.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Are these reposted suggestions able to be searched on this forum (not the previous forum)?

Most of us are aware of the things that have been suggested before, been suggested a million times and have been suggested recently. If this knowledge is "unfair" that not everyone is going to know what has been suggested and what hasn't we can start from all the threads created on the new forum. Then again, there's always the wayback machine.

• Advanced Members

In the near future, we'll try to update our guidelines for that section to account for these things. We won't be moving to an approval system though. People might get confused as to why their topic wasn't approved, and we're not going to go out of our way to personally notify people every time their topic wasn't approved. Once these guidelines are in place, we'll be able to close topics and point people to our list of standards.

Don't let this stop you from reporting now! If someone suggests something that has already been suggested on this forum, go ahead and report it.

• Award 3