How to Host a xat Contest

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, Kopas said:

We should thank @HelperNate for taking your time because maybe this guide is not useful for you or this is not the tutorial you were looking for, but for other people it can be very useful if you want to organize an event or contest or just get the idea of how to organize an event in the future.

In 2010, when we was little kids on xat using the old Forum as a contest hosting place for graphics, when the old graphic kings was on, we didn't have any clue of "how to host a contest" we wrote what we wanted from the graphic people, or whatever we wanted, then gave a prize limit.

Then when the contest was over, the thread was closed and the prizes was awarded to the winner(s).

So the only reason I'm saying this is, for the past 10+ years xat has been running, we haven't had a guide, and really don't need one now, I'm proud of Nate for taking his time and wanting to help with this, good on him for the dedication, but I was simply stating, there's so much that could be either re-written on the wiki (So ticket your edit) or even added to the wiki about xat.

• Advanced Members
On 7/14/2019 at 1:42 PM, D3nzil said:

In 2010, when we was little kids on xat using the old Forum as a contest hosting place for graphics, when the old graphic kings was on, we didn't have any clue of "how to host a contest" we wrote what we wanted from the graphic people, or whatever we wanted, then gave a prize limit.

Then when the contest was over, the thread was closed and the prizes was awarded to the winner(s).

So the only reason I'm saying this is, for the past 10+ years xat has been running, we haven't had a guide, and really don't need one now, I'm proud of Nate for taking his time and wanting to help with this, good on him for the dedication, but I was simply stating, there's so much that could be either re-written on the wiki (So ticket your edit) or even added to the wiki about xat.

Being that Nate runs the Game chat, which is known to host contests for games, and other various things, this is helpful. No matter if it was needed or not needed, Nate was just trying to make a helpful guide for users who may need it, and as Kopas mentioned, it may not be useful for you, but it can definitely be useful for other people, especially foreigners who use xat. Learn to appreciate helpful people and their kind gestures, instead of putting them down or shaming them for only trying to give people a general idea of how to conduct something.

• Huh? 1

• Members
22 hours ago, Dallas said:

especially foreigners

explain why this was needed?

No matter where the person is born or lives, it shouldn't be a problem.

That's like saying: I'm going to eat a bit of fruit.

And then writing a guide for foreigners?

I stated that it's a good thing to do and respected him for this, I stated my mind that it's not needed. Not that it's not wanted.

• Award 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members
On 7/19/2019 at 2:51 PM, D3nzil said:

explain why this was needed?

No matter where the person is born or lives, it shouldn't be a problem.

I said especially foreigners because that should be the main target, considering the english side of xat is dwindling, foreigners are the main group that is keeping xat alive. Take a look at english promoted chatrooms vs Spanish promoted chatrooms.

• Advanced Members
On 8/24/2019 at 2:31 AM, Dallas said:

I said especially foreigners because that should be the main target, considering the english side of xat is dwindling, foreigners are the main group that is keeping xat alive. Take a look at english promoted chatrooms vs Spanish promoted chatrooms.

@Dallas Okay but why is the tutorial in English then lmao? If it is really to target the foreigners , use their language. If a "foreigner" speaks good enough english to read this AND he is already on the forum he most likely knows how to host a contest. I agree with the person critisizing the tutorial, its not really helping anyone if everyone already knows how to do it. 

Edited by Madses
  • Award 2

• Bot Service Providers

This is for new forum users, who just started on it and want to know how to make their contest on forums/xat.

I suggest you to just stop saying "this is useless bla bla bla" if you think he missed something, make it better, if you don't have any constructive suggestion, just stop, tutorials are focused in helping new users or who else need help. You just saying this is useless and not making anything to change just make your comment useless too.

Nice job nate!

That's all.

Edited by xLaming
  • Award 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members

It is an excellent and very useful tutorial for users who want to organize a contest or an event and who have no idea how to do it.

Thanks HelperNate for taking your time.(applause)

Edited by Ch3rry

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, xLaming said:

This is for new forum users, who just started on it and want to know how to make their contest on forums/xat.

I suggest you to just stop saying "this is useless bla bla bla" if you think he missed something, make it better, if you don't have any constructive suggestion, just stop, tutorials are focused in helping new users or who else need help. You just saying this is useless and not making anything to change just make your comment useless too.

Nice job nate!

That's all.

Okay but no1 said the word "useless". Also i like how you used  "for new users" rather than "foreigners". Doesnt really make sense to me saying its for foreigners.

• Advanced Members
17 hours ago, Madses said:

@Dallas Okay but why is the tutorial in English then lmao? If it is really to target the foreigners , use their language. If a "foreigner" speaks good enough english to read this AND he is already on the forum he most likely knows how to host a contest. I agree with the person critisizing the tutorial, its not really helping anyone if everyone already knows how to do it. 

Unsure why you are bringing this up like google translate isn't a thing. Assuming the foreigners have google chrome and is able to translate the page. My comment still stands true. If this post doesn't concern you, carry on with your day, you don't need to complain about a post that doesn't affect you or target you. 

• No 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members

I have added a recommendation to include a countdown to count when either:

• An in-chat event will start
  • A forum contest's deadline has been reached

Information about adding countdowns can be found under the section "Deciding when to host your contest"

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Members

this is extremely poggers! thank you helpernate

On 7/9/2019 at 5:52 PM, D3nzil said:

C'mon, really? out of all the tutorials that could be added, a tutorial on how to make a contest?

I mean, it's common sense....

this makes me so angry!

grrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRRrRR WHY WOULD YOU SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! *kicks laptop*

• Thanks 1
  • Done! 1