What do you do when you're sad?

JOOZ

• Contributors

When I'm sad, I analyze why I'm like this in the first place. After identifying the "enemy", I try to find out if I can eliminate it, by fixing the issue.

If I can't, I try to accept it, to embrace it.

Sadness does not go away if you create an illusion such as music or games, but it helps to distract your mindĀ  until you have the courage to face the situation. I do that also pretty often...Ā illusions are not really bad sometimes.Ā (scn)Ā 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
18 hours ago, LordSin said:

Sadness does not go away if you create an illusion such as music or games, but it helps to distract your mindĀ  until you have the courage to face the situation. I do that also pretty often...Ā illusions are not really bad sometimes.Ā (scn)Ā 

Ā 

I must say that I strongly disagree with your statement here. Maybe to you such things are "distractions" but they help people cope. I recall playing the game Ever Oasis for the Nintendo 3DS back in 2018 of Jan when a family member of mines passed away. The uplifting tone of the story, the music, the colors, characters and overall atmosphere helped uplift my mood and reminded me that life is hopeful -> death is inevitable but the feeling while uncomfortable and uneasyĀ can be improved by surrounding myself with uplifting content or anything that gives one hope and boosts the overall morale of a person.Ā I wasn't avoiding my "loss" I was finding ways to uplift myself so that I could cope with the situation. It doesn't mean I wasn't "thinking" about my upsetting emotions or feelings. And there will be times where you just can't "quash" those feelings -> like in this situation, what could I do about the inevitable death of a person? Beat myself up for letting them die...?

Ā 

To summarise my point, I don't consider different coping mechanisms as "illusions" or "distractions" whilst it's important to acknowledge the issues at hand that play a part in making one feel sad,Ā calling them distractions and an illusion is a bit too far-fetched bordering on being insensitive (and even offensive to an extent). Yes, some people use these things as "distractions" or as you say "illusions" to avoid the truth, but that doesn't mean that they don't face their problems (and who are you to judge and decide what method is suitable anyway?)

Ā 

Gaming is not an illusion to me, it's a hobby, it's nostalgia, it's emotion. More than some people could ever understand. Sometimes you just need to surround yourself in certain media to cope because words and what people say just don't seem to strike the right chord (sometimes you don't even want to talk to anyone, games and music can help with that). I guess my key takeaway with this post is to do what makes you happy, but don't criticise on what you consider as pointless because for others it may not be the case.

Edited by Enter
  • Award 1
  • Like 2

• Contributors
1 hour ago, Enter said:

Ā 

I must say that I strongly disagree with your statement here. Maybe to you such things are "distractions" but they help people cope. I recall playing the game Ever Oasis for the Nintendo 3DS back in 2018 of Jan when a family member of mines passed away. The uplifting tone of the story, the music, the colors, characters and overall atmosphere helped uplift my mood and reminded me that life is hopeful -> death is inevitable but the feeling while uncomfortable and uneasyĀ can be improved by surrounding myself with uplifting content or anything that gives one hope and boosts the overall morale of a person.Ā I wasn't avoiding my "loss" I was finding ways to uplift myself so that I could cope with the situation. It doesn't mean I wasn't "thinking" about my upsetting emotions or feelings. And there will be times where you just can't "quash" those feelings -> like in this situation, what could I do about the inevitable death of a person? Beat myself up for letting them die...?

Ā 

To summarise my point, I don't consider different coping mechanisms as "illusions" or "distractions" whilst it's important to acknowledge the issues at hand that play a part in making one feel sad,Ā calling them distractions and an illusion is a bit too far-fetched bordering on being insensitive (and even offensive to an extent). Yes, some people use these things as "distractions" or as you say "illusions" to avoid the truth, but that doesn't mean that they don't face their problems (and who are you to judge and decide what method is suitable anyway?)

Ā 

Gaming is not an illusion to me, it's a hobby, it's nostalgia, it's emotion. More than some people could ever understand. Sometimes you just need to surround yourself in certain media to cope because words and what people say just don't seem to strike the right chord (sometimes you don't even want to talk to anyone, games and music can help with that). I guess my key takeaway with this post is to do what makes you happy, but don't criticise on what you consider as pointless because for others it may not be the case.

I think you got carried away. I have said that I do this often, although I consider it an illusion andĀ Ā distraction.

And to the question of "who am I to judge", I can answer in the same way, who are you to judge me?

Ā 

I just said what I do personally (that was the topic, what everyone does when they are sad) and what I consider personal.

I do not judge anyone and I am not here to be judged. As for the rest of things, I think I would be able to talk quite a bit psychologically, but not here.

Ā 

Everyone has the right to say what they feel and what they believe, there is no reason to be criticized for it.

I regret that you went through such things, and I could write a book with 7 volumes of similar things that I experienced. Maybe everyone has such situations. This is life.Ā 

Ā 

In psychology, music and games are often used as therapy. I know because I do therapy.Ā They all have a role to play and I have not judged anyone. I could not judge, because I said clearly that I do the same.Ā  The fact that I said that from my point of view, this distraction is an illusion untill better ideas of overcoming the situation, should not generate so much anger. It is for me! I have the right to an opinion like everyone else.

Ā 

Thanks for your opinion, I respect it!Ā 

Edited by LordSin
grammar
  • Like 1

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, LordSin said:

I think you got carried away. I have said that I do this often, although I consider it an illusion andĀ Ā distraction.

And to the question of "who am I to judge", I can answer in the same way, who are you to judge me?

Ā 

I just said what I do personally (that was the topic, what everyone does when they are sad) and what I consider personal.

I do not judge anyone and I am not here to be judged. As for the rest of things, I think I would be able to talk quite a bit psychologically, but not here.

Ā 

Everyone has the right to say what they feel and what they believe, there is no reason to be criticized for it.

I regret that you went through such things, and I could write a book with 7 volumes of similar things that I experienced. Maybe everyone has such situations. This is life.Ā 

Ā 

In psychology, music and games are often used as therapy. I know because I do therapy.Ā They all have a role to play and I have not judged anyone. I could not judge, because I said clearly that I do the same.Ā  The fact that I said that from my point of view, this distraction is an illusion untill better ideas of overcoming the situation, should not generate so much anger. It is for me! I have the right to an opinion like everyone else.

Ā 

Thanks for your opinion, I respect it!Ā 

Ā 

Like I mentioned, your opinion is entirely your own. But consider expressing your "opinions" in a way which is more socially-friendly and in a welcome manner because the way you put it is just asking to piss people off. It was way too direct and as someone who relies on gaming for relief and emotional stability / balance (as is the whole point of gaming anyway - to escape reality) your comment was insensitive and offensive (from a gamer's perspective)

Ā 

Moreover, not everyone appreciates others calling their methods of relief "illusions" or "distrations"Ā - it's called denial (uh duh? lol). Again, not saying you're wrong, you're just too blunt.

Edited by Enter
  • Award 1
  • Like 2

• Contributors
4 minutes ago, Enter said:

Ā 

Like I mentioned, your opinion is entirely your own. But consider expressing your "opinions" in a way which is more socially-friendly and in a welcome manner because the way you put it is just asking to piss people off. It was way too direct and as someone who relies on gaming for relief and emotional stability / balance (as is the whole point of gaming anyway - to escape reality) your comment was insensitive and offensive (from a gamer's perspective)

Ā 

Moreover, not everyone appreciates others calling their methods of relief "illusions" or "distrations"Ā - it's called denial (uh duh? lol). Again, not saying you're wrong, you're just too blunt.

ok, I'll stop here, thanks for your opinion.Ā (hug)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...