xat.com/Game will be hosting "HQ STYLE" trivia games in the coming weeks. This post is meant to serve as an official announcement and list of rules for these contests.
You may have heard of the popular mobile trivia app, HQ. If you're not familiar with it, it hosts live trivia games for real money. Multiple times a day, millions of users log on to the app and are asked a series of 12-15 trivia questions, each with 3 possible answers, and a 10-second time limit to lock in their selections. If they get a question correct, they move on. If they don't, they're out. Once all questions have been asked, anybody who got all of them correct splits a predetermined prize pool with the other winners.
We will be hosting contests in this style, beginning with trivia. Our on-xat adaptation will work as follows:
1. Approximately 10-30 minutes before the contest begins, the banner at the top of this thread will display on English xat chats. We recommend disabling any adblockers on xat if you would like to not miss out! Most of the time, a post will also be made in this thread to alert forum users.
2. The prize pool (which will be split among all winners) will be announced just prior to the beginning of the contest, and will vary from contest to contest.
3. The host will give warning before asking each question. Each question will be asked only once, and all 3 possible answers (A, B, C) will be clearly indicated in the same post as the question.
4. Participants will submit their answers by sending a private chat (PC) message to the FEXBot on Game chat, containing only the letter (A, B, C) they believe is correct. Once a participant sends their first guess, their answer is locked in and cannot be changed. Answering in main chat is not forbidden, but main chat answers will not be counted, even if correct.
5. Participants will have exactly 10 seconds to submit answers. Any answers submitted after 10 seconds will not be counted. A message will not be posted on main chat indicating that time is up until a few seconds after time is actually up, so some answers posted before the main chat indication may still not be counted if they come after the 10 second mark. Arguing with the host over the timing of answers may result in a ban.
6. The host will keep track of who is still "in" the contest, and will post a list of names after each answer period (before each question is asked). If a participant answers a question incorrectly, they will be out, and ineligible to win the prize. If a participant fails to answer a question at all, they also become ineligible, meaning participants must be on the chat and ready at the beginning of the contest to be eligible to win.
7. The amount of questions asked during each game may vary, but will be announced before each contest begins.
8. After all questions have been asked, all participants who got every question correct will split the prize pool evenly among themselves. If the prize pool is not able to be evenly split, the prize pool will be rounded down until it can be split evenly (for example, a 2500 xat prize pool would be rounded down to 2497 if there were 2497 winners).
All rules are subject to change, and I will probably be adding to this list as problems arise. We have never hosted anything this way before, so if things are a little bit "rocky" at first, please be patient and understand that we're trying our best and remember that the Game staff and contest hosts have final say in solving any disputes or issues. Also, these contests will be hosted in English to start, but if anyone is interested in hosting in other popular languages, you can send me a message. You can also contact me or Arthur if you would like to donate!
Additionally, if this style of contest is well received by the community and easy enough to host, we may begin hosting other types of contests (flash games, hide and seek, etc.) in similar formats.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them in this thread! I hope to see you all out on xat.com/Game for the contests!